Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

Wasabi partnership?

Post by evilaedmin »

What does Wasabi parternship mean to an end customer?

When using Veeam with Wasabi will troubleshooting of service errors be done by in isolation by each vendor because Wasabi is simply an S3-compatible non-certified service or may we expect coordination on Veeam and Wasabi's part?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: Wasabi partnership?

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello, I am not aware of any special arrangements with Wasabi.

However, can you clarify what sort of coordination between Veeam and actual S3 object storage providers you're thinking about in case of service errors on their part? From my perspective, Veeam cannot add any real value to the resolution process in such scenario. For Veeam, any object storage is basically a "black box" behind an industry-standard S3 protocol. And in case of a service downtime, those API calls will start failing until the service is restored. However, Veeam cannot help the service provider to restore their infrastructure, right? It's solely on them to fix...

May be you can explain your vision for such coordination in the ideal world, what were your expectations on Veeam's role in the process when you were asking whether you can "expect coordination"?

Thanks!
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

Post by evilaedmin »

For Veeam, any object storage is basically a "black box" behind an industry-standard S3 protocol.
Hi Anton, this makes sense. Perhaps that product brief is itself what I'm looking for: assurance that (in this case, Wasabi) S3 API coverage is enough to work with Cloud Tier.

OTOH, (I realize I'm comparing on-premise products with services here) here is a compatibility list of Red Hat Ceph that is listed as only Veeam-compatible as Ceph Block Device and not via Ceph Object Storage (S3-compatible), so this case is good to know too.

Thanks for the explanation!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

No problems Eugene. By the way, we have our own list going too!