Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ilovepancakes
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Tucci

Looking for basic direction on setting up simple backup strategy

Post by ilovepancakes »

Hi all,

I'm new to Veeam and have already reviewed all the relevant KB articles per some advice from a previous post I made here but for the life of me cannot get the backup strategy I want to work correctly. I do know my way around the Veeam interface so I am simply looking for input on the basic tasks I need to do to make the following work (i.e. create these 2 types of jobs, set this one to run xx times every yy days, set the other to use this setting with this variable, and have it run every z hour at w interval, set this one to make these types of full backups every so often, set these GFS settings to, check this box, etc...) It doesn't need to be step by step again, as I know where to find everything in the interface for the most part. And the repositories I already have setup so can start right from the stage of creating jobs.

Then, at least if I know my jobs are setup right to do what I want I can actually ask intelligent questions if it still isn't working. Here is what I want to make happen. I am running Enterprise Plus so I do have access to all features needed for SOBR, etc...

1 vSphere Host with 11 VMs to backup

-Backup all VMs hourly to a local repository on the backup proxy, and maintain 72 hours worth of these hourly backups
-Keep daily backups of all VMs for 30 days
-After that, keep weekly backups of all VMs for 3 months
-After that, keep monthly backups for 12 months
-After that, keep yearly backups for 3 years
-Have as much as possible from the above get offloaded to object storage regularly. I do understand there are some limitations with Veeam's implementation for object storage and it isn't necessarily meant to just offload backups to as soon as they are made. But at a minimum I would like the weekly, monthly, and yearly backups offloaded as they are created.

In summary, I am look for a simple direction (create this, set this, do that, then wait for this period to see if it works... kind of thing) on what kinds of jobs AND the basic settings/setup of those jobs to make the above happen.

Thank you in advance,
Chris
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: Looking for basic direction on setting up simple backup strategy

Post by nitramd »

Chris,

Have you looked at Veeam's online documentation? It illustrates exactly what you're asking for, if I understand you correctly.

When I first started using Veeam I was constantly perusing the docs for information on how to achieve something; looking at these docs also helped me gain familiarity with the product. Veeam's documentation is step by step and it's really quite good!

If you use this tremendous resource you'll be a Veeam Pro in no time. Many thanks to Veeam for the documentation and for an easy to use product.

To get you started, here are a couple of URLs:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Good luck.
ilovepancakes
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Tucci

Re: Looking for basic direction on setting up simple backup strategy

Post by ilovepancakes »

Thanks, I have reviewed much of the documentation and something still isn't working right which is why I am looking for more input on a high level idea of how to structure the above scenario. I am able to get the hourly backups for 72 hours working with a simple backup job set to just make incremental backups every hour, and then after 72 hours it deletes the earliest I guess so I always have 72 restore points for each VM.

My problem seems to be in the backup copy job and GFS related stuff. I have all the settings the way I think they should be, but even after waiting a week no weekly GFS point gets made. Again, why I am just looking to start fresh with recreating everything based on someone's input just to make sure I am not missing something major here.