Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
Robin Kiefer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robin Kiefer

Restore Attempt with USB HDD failed !

Post by Robin Kiefer »

Case #03427314 was created.

Restore Attempt with USB HDD failed !

As I was working the testing of Linux Backup agent, I met an error which I couldn't explain.

I had a backup of an Ubuntu machine on a USB Hard-drive but as I tried to restore from the USB Drive I couldn't mount it. It should have worked because as far as I know NTFS works perfectly fine not only with Ubuntu Linux but also with Veeam I know this because the machine on which I was working on, was a Dual boot Machine. On these machine was a Window's 10 Pro on a 250GB NTFS drive and an Ubuntu Desktop on a ext4 HDD whit 1Terrabye the NTFS drive of the windows partition could be mounted with no problems at all. But the external Hard-drive wasn't even seen on the Partition list in the Boot media from Veeam. I couldn't explain why but I figured out a way to use my backup. I put the Backup on another internal Drive and from there I was able to mount and start the restoring process. Sadly the thing with my USB drive was not the only problem that I got with the Linux agent. At the start every thing seamed fine the Recovery was Successful and I restarted the computer. But even though I made a successful restore the boot process of Linux Ubuntu wasn't even starting correctly. I only had a black screen with the blinking white line in the top left corner. What would be an important information my backup was one of the entire Hard-drive so boot and swap partition included in it.

But the tow mention boot a swap partitions where not restored which would explain the one problem with booting because I think the main partition is properly restored. What I tried was to install Ubuntu new on the Hard-drive and then joust restore the main Partition again. But as my luck came in again it didn't work. The backup files where not working any more I could not start a backup again even though I didn't change a lot with exception of installing Ubuntu again for the purpose of getting swap and boot partitions back.

So joust a quick sum up of my problems.

- The Backup can not be started from an External USB drive (it can't be mounted)
- the Backup didn't restore the entire drive.
- the backup files suddenly got broke.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Restore Attempt with USB HDD failed !

Post by PTide »

Hi,

What was your partitioning schema on the original machine, and how did you restore it from the backup? Did you pick the entire drive from the backup and mapped it to the drive on the machine, or you restored partitions one by one?
But the external Hard-drive wasn't even seen on the Partition list in the Boot media from Veeam.
Have you tried dropping into a command line interface and mounting USB manually?

Thanks!
Robin Kiefer
Novice

Post by Robin Kiefer »

ReWritten
Robin Kiefer
Novice

Re: Restore Attempt with USB HDD failed !

Post by Robin Kiefer »

PTide wrote: Feb 21, 2019 11:44 am Hi,

What was your partitioning schema on the original machine, and how did you restore it from the backup? Did you pick the entire drive from the backup and mapped it to the drive on the machine, or you restored partitions one by one?

Have you tried dropping into a command line interface and mounting USB manually?

Thanks!
I have tried to mount the USB manually without succsess.
It was said the Drive was busissi or already mounted.
I had a Backup of the Entire drive and also tried to restore the entire drive.
The Patition scheme was MBR.