Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mikesaunders1983
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Saunders

Importing Hyper-V Backups

Post by mikesaunders1983 »

Hi,

This issue came about as a customer has a 2 node Microsoft cluster on a clustered Hyper-V environment. These VMs are backed up to a backup location and from there they are backed up offsite into our environment with a backup copy job. Along with this I wanted to create a Hyper-V replication job to replicate into our DR Hyper-V environment. Because the MS cluster uses vhds disks this was not possible as Veeam support told me they aren't supported.

With this I tried to import the backups from the repository into one of our Veeam servers which I did, then from there I would restore the VMs into the DR Hyper-V environment. Here is the issue.... The customers Hyper-V is a cluster and my DR Hyper-V is a standalone. I get the message:

"Unable to register VM as a cluster resource. Host is not part of a cluster".

Can anyone help with this and tell me if this is even possible? I tried the restore with both VMs and one VM on its own.

Server is 2016 on source and destination and the VMs are 2016 as well. Our veeam B&R is 9.5 update 3.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Importing Hyper-V Backups

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Mike,

First: Welcome to the forums!
Second: How are you doing the restore? When you restore an entire VM, and you go to the wizard, you should be able to select restore to a new location or with different settings. Is this how you are doing the restore?
mikesaunders1983
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Saunders

Post by mikesaunders1983 »

HI,

Yes that is correct but when I get to the select host screen it doesn't allow me to proceed as its not part of a cluster.

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hmmm,

I believe it should be possible by selecting the host, then use the resource button on that same page and select "Do not register as a clustered resource"
Is that possible? When do you get the notification, when you click next or when selecting a host?