Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
fkckbrown
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle Brown

Feature Request: Parallel Processing for GFS

Post by fkckbrown »

I know parallel processing is available for the tape backups, but it is noted that the GFS does not have this ability. We are just moving over to Veeam and we need to send out a tape offsite. We have 4 tape drives in a HP Library and only one tape drive is used to backup all of the data. Parallel processing is almost a must for tape backups so not having it for GFS (given the other abilities it has compare to normal tape jobs) really hurts. I know this has been mentioned before, but I didn't see a specific feature request for it. Please highly consider this feature in the next update.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Parallel Processing for GFS

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your post. While this request is marked with high priory, unfortunately it’s not going to be included in upcoming update due the complexity of this feature.
plandata_at
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Plandata Datenverarbeitungs GmbH

Post by plandata_at »

also support this feauture request. Not having parallel tape processing for GFS makes GFS not usable for us.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Post by Moebius »

I think that everybody that uses GFS jobs is waiting anxiously for this feature to be implemented.

As a temporary workaround, I split the GFS job in two (i.e. splitting the source jobs into two separate GFS jobs) and run the two jobs simultaneously. This allows using both tape drives at the same time. Not optimal but useable.
sreejiths
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sreejith Soman

Post by sreejiths » 1 person likes this post

Sad to see this option not available in Update 9.5 update 4 as well.

Should we expect this anytime soon?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

sreejiths,

Parallel processing is included in Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 4: not only you can span data across multiple tape devices but enabled parallel processing for the desired amount of tape drivers within single tape library. Cheers!