Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
albertwt
Veteran
Liked: 46 times

Backing up Windows Server 2016 MSCS (Cluster) running SQL Server 2017 Enterprise?

Post by albertwt »

Hi,

I wonder if Veeam Backup for VMware can perform the SQL server VM cluster backup using the Storage Array Snapshot?
or do I have to manually install Veeam Windows Agent Backup and treat it as a physical server?

:shock:

Case # 03431861
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backing up Windows Server 2016 MSCS (Cluster) running SQL Server 2017 Enterprise?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Albertwt,

Installing Veeam Agent for Windows will definitely be an option. Before I can respond to the SQL server VM cluster with VBR. What type of cluster are you using? Always-On or a traditional MSFT cluster? (And if the last, how is the shared disk connected)
ctg49
Enthusiast
Liked: 45 times
Full Name: Chris Garlington

Re: Backing up Windows Server 2016 MSCS (Cluster) running SQL Server 2017 Enterprise?

Post by ctg49 »

albertwt wrote: Feb 25, 2019 9:33 am Hi,

I wonder if Veeam Backup for VMware can perform the SQL server VM cluster backup using the Storage Array Snapshot?
or do I have to manually install Veeam Windows Agent Backup and treat it as a physical server?

:shock:

Case # 03431861
If you're meaning a MSCS cluster, as in, a shared LUN (either pRDM or shared VVOL in vcenter/esxi 7.0), that's the identical configuration I'm currently using (Server2016 + SQL2017Ent). VMs with shared LUNs cannot be snapshot, so by necessity it is a VEEAM agent backup. Utilizes windows volume snapshot engine for the guts of the backup as far as I know, works great though.
Anders
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Anders Lorensen

Post by Anders »

Be aware, if your cluster is using Cluster Shared Disks, that Veeam Agent for Windows wont work for the setup...

Would have been nice if Veeam actually could do a VSS snapshot, followed by a SAN snapshot (leaving out the VMWare snapshot) and do a backup that way... But thats not an option at the moment. (and never will be, most likely, as all pRDM's and the datastore that the C-drive is on, needs to be snapshottet at the exact same time, requireing some kind og consistency group snapshotting on the storage)