Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
csmall
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Colin Small

ReFS & Fast Clone

Post by csmall »

I created a LUN on a NAS (Synology Rackstation), presented it to a Windows 2016 Server VM as a drive via iSCSI, formatted it as ReFS 3.1 64K, and created a repository to that Windows VM with a target of the drive letter for the ReFS iSCSI disk.

When creating the repository, it did not automatically check and grey-out the align blocks option in advanced. I was under the impression it would do this if it auto detected it could do fast clone. This leads me to think it doesn't think it is fast clone capable.

I checked the align blocks option anyway and per-vm files.

How can I tell if fast clone is going to be used/supported without waiting for a synthetic full to happen?

fsutil fsinfo volumeinfo driveletter: reports "Supports Block Cloning"
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: ReFS & Fast Clone

Post by Gostev »

Did you create repository, then went back to "Edit" and did not see those check box selected and grayed out? Or did you expect to see this happen right when you were just creating one? Because I don't believe this part happens until the repository is actually created, as this logic is a part of repository capabilities validation on the Apply step.
csmall
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Colin Small

Post by csmall » 1 person likes this post

Gostev, this was exactly it.

I was expecting to see it during the creation process and now that I go back and edit the repository I do in fact see the option grayed out.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Talk about new challenges of using Veeam when you're already an experienced Veeam user :D
You're not alone btw, someone else has asked the same just a couple of weeks ago!