Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itldn
Influencer
Liked: never

SQL AIR

Post by itldn »

HI,

Could anyone please tell me hoe to restore database to new database name?
e.g.
on production server there is a "Test1" database. this server has been backed up so now i want to restore the "Test1" db to "Test2" so that i don't overwrite my production db "Test1".

The wizard does not seem to have this functionality, unless i am doing something wrong.

please help.

Thanks
Alexey D.

Re: SQL AIR

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello,

You can restore only to pre-existing database. It doesn't necessarily has to be the original one, you can choose any existing database. So I would recommend you, prior launching the wizard, create your "Test2" database using Management Studio. Then it will become available in the "production database" drop-down list of SQL U-AIR, so you can restore into it.
itldn
Influencer

Post by itldn »

Hi Alex,

Not sure why veeam has no such an important functionality, hopefully will be added in the next release!!!!!!

i tried your suggestion but it does not seems to do anything. run the wizard and chose to restore to test2 then everything is ok but when i go to SQL server there is no tables in Test2. tried to detach and then attach but still not working.

is your solution have been tested before?
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

In order to create database you need administrative rights at your SQL Server. Many companies would not want end users to have such privileges due to security concerns. That's the point why you don't see such a functionality in the wizard itself.

Did you see any error/warning messages? Have you tried another options for restore?

Yes, we have tested the solution, for sure.
itldn
Influencer

Post by itldn »

Ok,

the wizard does not give me any error. So when i run the wizard and select the first option "Restore Database Schema" then the wizard finishes fine But when i check my test2 DB then there is nothing no table nor View. However i have tried the second option on the wizard "Restore Database Tables" this works fine and the tables have been restored to my Test2 DB but i have also Views which did not restore.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

You may want to open a support case for assistance/investigation, as this would be most effective. Thanks.