Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

License Socket Exceeded error after update4

Post by pufferdude »

I have a very small, simple VB&R/Veeam One setup licensed for 6 sockets. Even though I have 8 sockets in my vSphere system, the one host (2 sockets) has never done a VB&R backup and has never been an issue... but after upgrading to 9.5update4, I keep being nagged with a "The number of licensed servers has been exceeded" error. Is there any way to "exclude" the 2 socket host that has NEVER had a VM backed up with Veeam, and should not be part of this equation? It's as if Veeam is now counting any socket in the vCenter it can see as a "potential" Veeam socket and thinking I need to pay for it.... but again, I don't back up any VMs on that host and never have.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: License Socket Exceeded error after update4

Post by Gostev »

No, actually it does not work like that.

Veeam will only consume sockets when you perform backup or replication of a VM sitting on the unlicensed host. And if you never do, then the host will never consume Veeam licenses. If this started to happen recently, then sure enough debug logs should still have the information what specific job on what specific VM has triggered making that host licensed. Feel free to contact our support for the assistance with the debug log review - it should be interesting to get to the bottom of this!

Thanks!
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Thanks for the sanity check. To be clear, the host in question is NOT actually consuming a license (when I look at Help | Licenses) I see only 6 sockets used, and when I go to the Sockets tab and "manage" those sockets, the host is NOT in that list)... but I AM getting alerts from VeeamOne that I've exceeded my licenses, and VB&R itself has a failed job every day at 9pm called "Rescan of Manually added" that fails with

"Error: Remote deployment and management is available for licensed agents only. Please change your backup server settings to allow managed agents to consume the license, then perform a protection group rescan."

I have no idea what that means or why I'm seeing it after update4. I'm beginning to think it's not related to my non-backed-up host at all.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

"Rescan of Manually added" issue is unrelated to problems with your socket license, and is a known issue that is documented in the top issues tracker sticky topic in the main forum. Thanks!
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Great, thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Having said that, those wrong alerts from Veeam ONE looks to be a different issue, and it looks like a possible bug in Veeam ONE. Please investigate this one with support, should be easy to troubleshoot given that Help | Licenses dialog in Veeam Backup & Replication does show the correct information. Thanks!
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Just circling back on this... I went to submit a ticket, and it wouldn't take my support Id! (which was a clue). I went into Help | License Info and the license was showing as "Valid" with the correct expiration date, and the Support Id I'd always used was shown (which is the one I tried to use to open a ticket). I clicked "Update Now" and it said the license was fine. However, I went back to veeam.com and logged in and saw I had a NEW support Id, so I sent a new license file to myself, installed that, and now I have the same license with a different support Id. I'm not sure why the 'update license" mechanism couldn't handle getting my new license (that seems like a defect) but I'm pretty sure it's the source of my license exceeded error above.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This is actually normal, as update license functionality uses SupportID from the currently installed license to query for an updated license.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Yeah, support said as much. I guess I don't understand why my support ID changed, but all good now.