Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Rambarransingh.N
Influencer
Liked: never

Import-VBRBackUp - How to undo ...

Post by Rambarransingh.N »

Good Day All,

I am using Powershell to create VeeamZIP's. The zips are stored offline out in the world. When the time comes to restore the VM, I generally have to restore it to a new name and location, usually not for a short period of time. We have been using the 9.5 Free Ed. to manually restore the VM. This is time consuming, and, believe it or not, humans doing the job are making mistakes: forgetting to change computer names, IP address, or even accidentally OVERWRITING the original VM.

To that end, I have been chasing automation. So far, I have been trying:
- On demand, Import-VBRBackup -server TheVeeamServer -FileName SomeVeeamZIP.vbk ... this action produces a RestorePoint which is required for the restore.
- From here, I can run various Restores: Start-VBRHvRestoreVM or Start-VBRRestoreWindowsFiles. So far - this seems to work.

My question is about the Import. AFTER the restore is done, I want to remove the IMPORT from the database. I am of the impression it is using space in the SQL Server, and, in my mind, this is not good.

Am worried for nothing? Or better yet, how do I remove/delete the actions of the Import-VBRBackUp ?

Thnx,

Nikita
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Import-VBRBackUp - How to undo ...

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Nikita,

I think this will help you: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4
Rambarransingh.N
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by Rambarransingh.N »

Good Day,

Already tried that. It always reports Cannot bind object to null ref.

If I do an Import-VBRBackUp, It does not create a backup job, It creates a RestorePoint. Get-VBRjob does not show what I just imported. Get-VBRRestorePoints does, and I am ok with that because I want to restore files. However, the Import makes a copy of the VBK in the DB. I don't have a problem with that, while I am making use of the Import. When I am done, I want to get rid of that import.

How do I get rid of it ?
Get-VBRRestorePoint will return an object. But, If I try to pass that to Remove-VBRRestorePoint, it always reports a null ref. error.

Comments/Suggestions?

Thnx,
Nikita
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Nikita,

What do you get when you show the results of Get-VBRRestorePoint? What parameters and results are in there?