Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cxwsrei
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

How to enable extended restore dialogue about prefix/postfix

Post by cxwsrei »

Hi all

when I restore a folder or file on a windows server I can choose to "keep" or "overwrite".
I remember a while ago I still was asked if the restored item should have a prefix or postfix and also I could amend the name of the pre-/postfix.
Already afor a while veeam is restoring it directly by using prefix "RESTORED-".
Where can I configure veeam respectively where can I re-enable that feature ?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: How to enable extended restore dialogue about prefix/postfix

Post by wishr »

Hi Cxwsrei,

The prefix is added only when you choose the "Keep" option that will put the restored version of the file to the same original location, thus a prefix should be added, that is "RESTORED-" by default and can not be changed currently. You can find more information on this kind of operations in the corresponding B&R User Guide section.

Is there any specific reason for changing the prefix?

Regards,
Fedor
cxwsrei
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by cxwsrei »

Hi Fedor

thank you for your feedback.
Reason is only to have a more flexible way.
Also : when ther is a postfix, not a prefix, then it´s easier to find the restored folder/file in a list (explorer) that is sorted by name -> the retored item will then appear directly below the original item.

Anyhow it´s in my mind that in the past there was still an additional dialogue asking if you like prefix or postfix and you also had to opportunity to change the naming of that pre-/postfix.
Would be desireable to enable this behavior optionally.

Regards
Stefan
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for the feedback.

As far as I know, Guest File restore never had an option allowing editing prefix behavior. In certain situations, it's better to have a prefix instead of a postfix since all the restored files will be separated from the originals. Also, keep in mind that there is an additional logic: if a file with the prefix already exists, we'll Veeam Backup & Replication will name the restored file in the following format: RESTORED-<filename>__YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS).

Anyway, your request is noted. Thank you!

BR,
Fedor