Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Repo NTFS allocation unit size

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Greetings, I am setting up a repo that an iSCSI map of a NetApp LUN. I will be formatting the volume as NTFS. Is the recommended allocation unit size still 64K or something else since this product uses a database instead of actual backup files?

Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Repo NTFS allocation unit size

Post by ejenner »

Are you saying this volume will be for a database and not the volume where you keep your backup files?
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Veeam Backup for Office 365 uses a Jet database to store the backup data. This database will be living on the volume I have described above. So I want to know what sector size is best since I don't know if the Jet DB will consist of many small files or few large ones etc.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi James,

We don't have any specific requirements for the allocation units, so I believe you're good to go with the default settings recommended for Exchange databases (64 KB).
mpanagos
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Panagos

Post by mpanagos »

Sorry to bump this. It seems that most of the files are 5 MB or larger, but there are also a number of smaller JFM, ADB, & CHK files in the repository. The best-practice guide says NTFS with 4 KB is the way to go.
Repository File System should be chosen as NTFS with default settings (4k allocation units).
From looking at the repository from a sysadmin's point of view, it doesn't seem to really matter one way or the other much, but if we could get a consensus on this it would probably help reduce confusion for a lot of people.