Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jamcool
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jason Mount

Roles for SQL team to do own backups/restores

Post by jamcool »

We want to give our Microsoft SQL team the ability to create jobs and do restores of only the Microsoft SQL servers (all SQL servers in are in VMWARE managed by a vCenter server). The existing roles I can see after going to 9.5 update 4, does not seem to have this and Backup Enterprise Manager only has restore operator where if you have Enterprise PLUS you can specify what VMs they can restore. The only option I have come up with so far is to build a separate Veeam server with no vcenter setup but instead make them buy/use Windows agent (licenses).
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Roles for SQL team to do own backups/restores

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Jason,

If I understand it correctly, you are running the enterprise edition and want to give specific delegation rights to the SQL admins. Those rights are creating jobs, restoring data and so on. Correct?

Or do they only need the possibility to recover databases (which is the most common case in such scenario's and is included in the Enterprise Edition through the database recovery portal)
jamcool
Enthusiast

Post by jamcool »

creating jobs and restoring data.
Havgon
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Javier Gonzalez

Post by Havgon »

Mike, is the scenario with separate Veeam Server with VM's running agents feasible? We want to avoid giving them complete ADMIN rights in the console, where we have our other VM's running. Do you have any other options?

Thanks
Javier
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Javier, Jason,

Creating jobs and restoring data is indeed not possible with the enterprise license. You need plus to get such a granular rights, through vCenter.
A possibility to deploy a dedicated Veeam Server and deploying agents is certainly possible. Personally, in my mind it seems admin overhead compared to the extra cost of plus but that is just me :-).

From an admin point of view, consider deploying enterprise manager so you have at least the visibility in the different VBR installations.\

PS: You would still be able to backup SQL VMs through your own VBR server, and let the other do inside guest backups with Veeam Agent for Windows.
jamcool
Enthusiast

Post by jamcool »

We are building a test server running both Enterprise manager and VBR with trial Enterprise PLUS licenses to see if we can this to work via vcenter. If anybody has any documentation on this setup, I would appreciate it. So far I have been told that I control access as to what can be backed up via vCenter but not sure how that is done in VBR when I give it a single account to use to access vCenter. For how easy VBR is to use and how great it does at backups and restores, this seems very complicated and poorly documented. I hope to have a reply back next week.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Jason,

Have you reviewed this: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

That should give you the necessary steps
Havgon
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Javier Gonzalez

Post by Havgon »

Thank you, sir much appreciated.
jamcool
Enthusiast

Post by jamcool »

Either I am doing something wrong or the description in setup of tenant is wrong. I did tag (made the tag was on the VM) and selected under job scheduling to allow tenant can create daily and Monthly jobs on.... I then logged in with the tenant account but just get no backups exist and when I try to login via console, it just says denied.

So am I just mis-reading when it says create daily and Monthly jobs? It is just the scheduling of existing jobs that I can modify but not actually create jobs? BTW, I am using the 1,000 plus licenses from trial key on an isolated install of Veeam so not touching production.
jamcool
Enthusiast

Post by jamcool »

We are now looking at the self-service portal and using a TAG in vcenter on the SQL VM severs for them be able to backup and restore the SQL servers. Technically this work, just do not know if they are willing to give up a product that does SQL backups better. The self-service portal gives them a basic version of what is available in console for doing backups and restores. Note that it requires we upgrade to Enterprise PLUS.