Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
szimmerman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Zimmerman

"VM has stuck VM snapshot, will attempt to consolidate"

Post by szimmerman »

I was backing up our Virtual Center VM last night. Taking a lot longer then it normally does when doing a full backup (5 hours vs 10+ hours) so I had to stop the backup. I noticed the 'Removing VM snapshot' took 54 mins to remove! On top of that I got a message stating "vCenter has stuck VM snapshot, will attempt to consolidate periodically." I have never seen that before and naturally I am worried about rebooting the VM. Also, the VM ended backup normally with errors since I stopped it. Any help would be great!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: "VM has stuck VM snapshot, will attempt to consolidate"

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Scott,

Please take a look at this description of the feature you're currently seeing "in action" > Snapshot Hunter. Since you've aborted the backup job, there could VM snapshot left on the vCenter Server VM.

Thanks!
B.F.
Expert
Liked: 9 times

[MERGED] Stuck VM Snapshot?

Post by B.F. »

Greetings,

The last few backups of our file server VM, I've noticed this in the job details which didn't happen before:

<snipped>
2/27/2019 9:34:41 PM :: Removing VM snapshot
2/27/2019 9:35:37 PM :: <VM NAME> has stuck VM snapshot, will attempt to consolidate periodically
2/27/2019 9:35:39 PM :: Finalizing
<snipped>

There are green checks across the board and appears to be working. I'm not seeing any lingering snapshots in vSphere either. Just wanted to make sure there isn't something we need to be looking into or just let it roll.

Thanks!
B.F.
Expert

Post by B.F. »

Moderators,

Not sure what solution is gained by this merge? Is Snapshot Hunter finding snapshots I'm not seeing in vSphere? Is there a way to look for these phantom snapshots? Snapshot manger in vSphere shows nothing.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, Snapshot Hunter detects "phantom" snapshot files that exist on datastore but are not registered in vSphere.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can also use Veeam ONE to track all orphaned and stalled VM snapshots with our predefined alarms. Not only will these alarms spot these snapshots but they will also attempt to remove these for you via remediation actions set in the alarm.
B.F.
Expert

Post by B.F. »

I'm browsing the datastore file structure on this VM. According to VMware docs the snapshot files "... uses the following syntax, S1vm-000001.vmdk where S1vm is the name of the virtual machine and the six-digit number, 000001, is based on the files that already exist in the directory."

I'm not seeing any 000001 vmdk files in the file structure. I created a snapshot manually and then I observed the presence of the 000001 files.

Snapshot Hunter false positive?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Any chance it succeeded to consolidate it during the last attempt? If you still see this message during backup, feel free to contact support for a closer look.
B.F.
Expert

Post by B.F. »

We may have stumbled on the cause. There was a little bit of overlap for this VM where the backup was spilling over into the replication job for that same VM. We've made adjustments and will report back if that was the issue.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

It generally shouldn't be the case if both backup and replication jobs are managed by the same backup server. But let's see.
B.F.
Expert

Post by B.F. » 1 person likes this post

Problem solved. The backup and replication are actually on 2 different Veeam servers so the overlap was the cause.

Why 2 servers you ask? Backup jobs run locally on prem. Replication server is at the secondary site which pulls the data for replication. Main site blows up, we can recover quickly since Veeam is still alive at the secondary.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for sharing. Your setup is totally reasonable. In some cases though a single Veeam B&R instance in DR is preferred (unless both sites have equal roles and you cross-replicate in both directions).
B.F.
Expert

Post by B.F. »

In some cases though a single Veeam B&R instance in DR is preferred (unless both sites have equal roles and you cross-replicate in both directions).
Yes, the secondary site also is used on a smaller scale for it's own production work. Cross replication does occur and works well....as long as there is no backup overlapping. :)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Understood. At least now you know you should keep an eye on the schedule.