Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: J Cook

Veeam Proxy / Repo using Switch Embedded Teaming

Post by cookiejc »

Hi.. over the last year we have implemented a number of new Hyper-V environments across our estate which use Storage Spaces Direct with Scale out File Server. We are now in a position to rebuild our backup environment and are looking at different ways of doing things.

Traditionally our physical Veeam servers would have multiple 10Gb NICS in a Switch assisted team

With our new infrastructure being 100% SMB I was toying with the idea of installing the Hyper-V role on the Veeam servers and creating a SET switch with multiple SMB vNics to make use of SMB multichannel when accessing the storage. This is the transport mechanism from our Compute to Storage so I figured it might be useful to do the same for our Backup Infrastructure to Storage

Is anyone doing this with Veeam + Hyper-V? Or is there any definitive do's / don'ts?

Thanks in advance!, James
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Veeam Proxy / Repo using Switch Embedded Teaming

Post by nmdange »

So your S2D clusters are not running in hyper-converged, but are just acting as storage? If that is the case, yes you can do this. I've done this since 2012 R2 came out with regular Scale-Out File Servers.

What does your Veeam server look like? Is it just a standalone physical server running Windows? You don't even necessarily need a SET switch if you have a second NIC that can sit on the SMB networks. Also, Veeam can take advantage of RDMA/SMB Direct as long as your NICs support it.

Relevant section of the documentation. Just make sure you enable the File Server VSS role on the S2D servers.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: J Cook

Re: Veeam Proxy / Repo using Switch Embedded Teaming

Post by cookiejc »

Hi thanks for your response. Yes the bigger environments are converged with SOFS. The Veeam management server is a VM but we have 5 x Physical Proxy / Repositories with 2 x 10Gb nics each. I will look at upgrading these to 25Gbps with RocE to match the storage but I haven't got that far yet

Good point in that a SET switch may not be required at all, my main thinking was so that we should share management traffic with storage over the same physical nics but I could potentially use a copper connection for that

Thanks for the advice!