Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
andreas2012
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andreas

Backup copy job

Post by andreas2012 »

Hi,

I have a backup job, that take full backup once a week and incremental between, it is configured to keep the last 14 backups.
Now I would like to make a copy of the latest full backup every time the full backup is running, and dump this to another repository.

So if i run a full backup on monday, the copy job should copy this full backup to another repository, then 14 days later, when a new full backup is running, it should copy this but then remove the oldest full backup, so that I only have one full backup on the other repository.

Hope this was understanding

Thanks for answer.

/Regards
Andreas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup copy job

Post by foggy »

Hi Andreas, backup copy doesn't copy files but creates restore points on target copying data blocks required to build the latest VM state available on source. You cannot have just a single restore point on target, the minimum retention for the backup copy job is 2. So if you set the copy interval to 14 days, it will create a restore point on target bi-weekly, but you will have one full and one increment restore point there.
andreas2012
Veeam ProPartner

Post by andreas2012 »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Ok I think I understand, so i must have 1 full backup file, and 1 incremental file on the backup-copy storage device.
So would it be right then to configure it like this ?

https://ibb.co/xLDmyfN
https://ibb.co/F3XYZLz

/Regards
Andreas
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

The outcome of this would be...
every 14 days we look after 0:00 for new restore points and transport the next restore point to the backup copy target.
There we keep 2 restore points. The latest restore point will be kept as incremental and every run this incremental will be merged into the full file which then represents the oldest restore point.
andreas2012
Veeam ProPartner

Post by andreas2012 »

Hi,

Thanks, my head does not seem to get around this backup-copy-job thing..hehe.
Say for example if I would like to keep 3 full backups, would I need to configure it like this then ?
Will it then store 3 months back + latest incremental

https://ibb.co/x1mq2wp

Sorry for beeing to stupid here :)

/Regards
Andreas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, in this case you will have a regular chain consisting of a full backup + 3 increments and a single monthly full backup.