Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Adding one license to VB&R Community Edition

Post by Moebius »

Quick question:
I install VB&R in "Community Edition mode", i.e. without providing any license: I get 10 instances for free.
What if on top of it I install one VAW Workstation license? Will I still have the 10 instances plus the one paid, or will I loose the 10 free instances?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Adding one license to VB&R Community Edition

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Lucio,

If you install an instance-based license key, you will have as many instances displayed in the license dialog, as you have purchased. In other words, the 10 CE instances are not cumulative. Also, here is something to keep in mind in this case, when you are buying instances, you're essentially buying the production support for the given installation.

Thanks!
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Moebius »

Hi Vitaliy,

thank you. You say "as many displayed in the license dialog as you have purchased", so in my case the license dialog would show 1 instance only. So I understand that installing an instance-based license key wipes out the 10 free instances (taking in fact the VB&R server out of the "Community Edition" mode) and other unlicensed VAW installations would not be able to connect and use the Veeam repository. Do I get this correct?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

One other comment is that you cannot buy 1 instance anyway, as the minimum purchase is 10 instances.

Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition = Veeam Backup & Replication Standard Edition for 10 instances.
This covers 10 VMs or 10 workstations or 3 servers, or any combination adding up to 10 instances.

Veeam Backup & Replication Standard Edition for 10 instances is also the minimum possible Veeam purchase (less than $400 per year).
This also covers 10 VMs or 10 workstations or 3 servers, or any combination - but also includes 24/7 support.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Moebius »

Actually I meant to convert one VAW Server (not Workstation as I stated) subscription license that one customer purchased just a couple months ago. VAW Server licenses could be purchased as a single unit.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This is no longer true, we don't sell individual product licenses any more. We only sell instances, which are portable across all products and features.

There are 3 SKU, each available in 3 editions:
1. Veeam Backup Essential instances (min 10, max 30, sold in increments of 5): protection for any workload + monitoring
2. Veeam Backup & Replication instances (min 10, sold in increments of 10): protection for any workload
2. Veeam Availability Suite instances (min 10, sold in increments of 10): protection for any workload + monitoring

But yes, you can convert already acquired agent licenses to instances. They will get rounded to the closest 10 instances.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Moebius »

Anton, please help me get this straight: the customer has one (1) Veeam Agent for Windows Server license. If he converts it, he will get 10 instances?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, since we round to the closest 10 (minimal bundle).

Moreover, the customer doesn't need to perform any conversion action, as all current licenses have already been converted automatically when U4 was released. So, when they go to the customer portal, they will see both licenses available: the current (1) Veeam Agent for Windows Server license for 2.x agents, and the new 10 Instances license for 3.0 agents. Thanks!