Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
P0ll@rd
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Benjamin POLLET-VILLARD

ReFS repository migration

Post by P0ll@rd »

Hi all,

I need to change my Veeam repository who is handled backups with synthetic full and spaceless ReFS benefit. Source and target repositories will be set on different physical servers and destination will be set up on ReFS volume.
I cannot use the traditional robocopy because it will rehydrate the data. I saw a method with Windows S2D and mirroring but my servers are Windows Server 2016 Standard and source volume doesn't use Storage Space for the moment...
Maybe a solution is to use Veeam Agent and make a backup/restore of the volume but I think it is a long process because source volume is 14 TB. Maybe someone knows a block cloning software that enables cloning between different servers and that supports ReFS?
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: ReFS repository migration

Post by ejenner »

I'd say the limitation is going to be the performance of the disks themselves. So there isn't going to be a quick way of doing it.

Sometimes an option when migrating your backups to a new repository is to add the new repository to your backup infrastructure and change the destination for jobs one by one over a longer period. After a few weeks you'll have new backup files on the new repository and your old repository remains there as a further backup until you delete the older files. It does take longer but you'll have new files on the new repository and fully protected as the old files will remain in place until you delete them and disconnect the repository.
P0ll@rd
Novice

Post by P0ll@rd »

I thought about this solution but I have another repository with GFS Backup copy job with 12 monthlies and weeklies points and I don't want to keep the old server running a year more.
P0ll@rd
Novice

Post by P0ll@rd »

Maybe someone else knows another method?
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest »

I haven't tried it myself, but what about CloneZilla and do a sector-by-sector copy? I believe it can clone over the network to a remote disk.