Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Lalegre
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Leandro Alegre

VBO v2.0 - Really slow performance

Post by Lalegre »

I am having this really poor performance where all my jobs are giving me less than 1 MB/s on all values:

Read / Write / Processing.

I already applied the cumulative patch with no results, also played with the threads up and down. I have a dedicated 50 Mbps internet link just for testing and we are not applying any type of Traffic Shapping.

Also i have three different jobs, one for each application (OneDrive, SharePoint and Mail)

This is my support ticket # 03435931

Any idea?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: VBO v2.0 - Really slow performance

Post by Mike Resseler »

Leandro,

Is it slow for all three different jobs? In VBO 2 we are aware of problems with OneDrive and SharePoint and version 3 (in Beta now) will fix that. But I would find it strange that Exchange would be slow also. That might mean something else is going on
Windos
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Josh King

Post by Windos » 1 person likes this post

We're in the same boat here, Leandro,

SharePoint and OneDrive backups both well below 1 MB/s, lucky to get 25 KB/s. (Exchange backups works super fast though). I wouldn't spend too much time trying to tweak the threads, etc. you've probably at your cap.

Good news is, the Beta for v3 that Mike mentioned does indeed fix it... grab that once it's GA and all of your backups will be flying!
Lalegre
Influencer

Post by Lalegre »

Oh! No sorry, i checked this morning and the Exchange one is running really fine. I am seeing that the issue is coming from SharePoint and OneDrive.

Also i have a doubt on the best strategy to take at the time of downloading bunch of data. We have around 3 TB from mail only and if i do a simple calculation it will take days even weeks to finish.

I am thinking on the next strategy:

-First low the retention of the repository to seven days
-Then start the job and wait for the full backup.
-After it finish, change the retention to more days and do the job again.

If i do that, it will only do incremental of that changes? Is it valid? If don't what will be the best strategy to reduce time and operability.

Thanks!
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 707 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Leandro,

Changing retention will not work in this case, as you expect it. What can be helpful is to split your SharePoint and OneDrive between multiple jobs and run them consequently one after another. This should help to reduce the throttling challenge and get your backups faster and consistent.
Lalegre
Influencer

Post by Lalegre »

Okay i understood.

So that's the best way to backup 2 years of data? I mean, splitting the different jobs in smaller groups.

What's the effect of changing the retention policy when you already have data and start a new backup job?

Sorry for asking but i searched on the documentation and i only found how the retention works but not what happen if a change it on demand.

Thanks!
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 707 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

The documentation doesn't answer all the questions, otherwise, this forum wouldn't exist )

If you set retention to a shorter period (i.e. 7 years to 1 year), the backed up data exceeding it will be removed from a repository.
If you set retention to a longer period (i.e. 1 year to 7 years), the currently missing data from that extra period will be backed up on the next job run (6 additional years in my example).
Lalegre
Influencer

Post by Lalegre »

Oh great! Thanks for the explanation. Also i am seeing something pretty weird, just for testing i created a new repository with only 7 days but when i go the Veeam Explorer for Exchange i can see mails from more than three months.

Is this a normal behaviour?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

We back up based on modification date so if those e-mails are part of a threat which has been touched in those weeks, they will be backed up. Is this the case for what you are seeing?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Lalegre
Influencer

Post by Lalegre »

Yes is that what i am seeing.

I am finishing and incremental an Exchange and it took 1 hour and 44 minutes to transfer only 1,3 GB but i am seeing 2 - 3 MB/s of processing rate is this because it continuously reads all the data that has on the repository?

I am taking that rate as normal because if i go and download for example an ISO from the internet got the same speed.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Leandro,

I think the speed is a bit low. But as you say yourself, you see the same speed for an ISO. I would look into your internet bandwidth and see what is going on. It might be routing issues for example. Or your line only has that amount of bandwidth of course :-)