Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Jole
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jole

Backing up MSSQL and other HV machines

Post by Jole »

Hello!
I would like to thank you in advance for your help.

My configuration is two physical servers (HOST's), both of them are running HyperV role.
First server is running 6 VM-s, 5 of the VM's them are replicated to secondary physical server and last one is primary DC. Veeam backup server is one of them.
Secondary physical server is running 7 VM's, 5 of them are turned off as they are replicated copy of running VM's from first server mentioned above, and other two are secondary DC and SQL server.
Also there is external HA storage connected and used as backup repository.

As i said Veeam is installed in virtual VM dedicated for it.
What am i trying to do is to backup SQL server.
Under "Managed servers" i added my SQL server and under backup repository i added my storage.
What is the best way to backup MS SQL server.
When i try to add it Home - Backup Job - Virtual machine and then selection HyperV, adding SQL IP, under type i use HyperV standalone, using domain admin user/pass but keep getting error
Failed connect to host,
Invalid name space
1. Invalid credentials
2. Specified host is not a HyperV server

Although the same server (ip,user-pass) is valid in managed server.
I can add backup by going to Backup Job - Windows computer - Server (Managed by backup server) - Add individual computer (enter IP and saved user/pass) etc...
Is this correct way of backing up or am i doing something wrong ?

I'm new to Veeam, and trying it out for first time to see how does it work in my environment. Veem version is latest Community Edition

Thanks in advance !
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Backing up MSSQL and other HV machines

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Jole,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums and thanks for posting your question!

To back up the VMs residing on Hyper-V you have to add your Hyper-V infra to the Virtual Infrastructure section of the "Inventory". Here is the procedure. Once added the server will also appear as Managed Server. Please also make sure that you have all the required permissions for connecting (Local Administrator permissions on the source Microsoft Hyper-V server), and if the type of the server has been properly chosen during the initial configuration.

When creating a backup job you should be able to populate the list of available VMs on the "Add Objects" step and add the required ones, specify the rest job settings as per our guideline.

P.S. Not sure if that's the root cause or not, but the "user/pass" pair should have the "\" slash.

Regards,
Fedor
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner » 2 people like this post

When you get it working well you'll be pleased with it. But it has a lot of functionality to cover all backup scenarios, a lot of configuration options and it can be a bit overwhelming to begin with.

For SQL you will have to know before you begin whether or not you want to truncate your SQL logs during the backup?

The default setting is for Veeam to truncate the SQL backup logs. But if you don't want this you can turn it off.

With Hyper-V backup you have to decide if you want your source machines to be processed 'On-host' or 'off-host'. In your case, as there aren't very many I'm imagining you'll do 'on-host'.

The simplest way to backup SQL is to create a standard backup job of the SQL server. Once you have the job you make sure you have the box ticked for 'Enable application-aware processing' on the 'Guest Processing' section of the job configuration. You can click on the Applications button to configure your log handling preference. You'll have to have specific permission to backup SQL, it's quite likely by default you'll be blocked from backing it up. How you get permission to back it up depends on your security configuration. Sometimes having local administrator permission for the account used by Veeam on the server will give you enough rights to backup SQL.
Jole
Novice

Post by Jole » 1 person likes this post

2 wishr:
Yes, that was the problem !
I needed to add both HyperV Hosts to "Backup infrastructure" and now i see full list of my VM's.
Didn't know that :oops:
Thank you very much for your assistance !
Jole
Novice

Post by Jole »

2 ejenner: Thanks for tips, really appreciate it !
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Welcome, Jole! Glad to see it's sorted out.

Regards,
Fedor