Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jtupeck
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Jason Tupeck

Issue with Backup Copy Job Advanced Target Settings

Post by jtupeck »

Good afternoon! I just opened a case [03442467] that has a very strange issue that I have not seen before. Granted, I don't check these settings often and they have been set for a couple years now, but it is in regards to the GFS retention and the deletion of backups for servers that have been deleted from infrastructure and are no longer being backed up.

Here is the support text. I am hoping this prompts others to take a look at their settings and see if there are similar, or known issues around this:

We have a few BCJs (Backup Coy Jobs) for different retention policies and GFS retention settings. One for 1 month (Short Term Retention - STR), another for 6 months (Mid Term Retention - MTR) and another for 12 months (Long Term Retention - LTR). Within each of those jobs, we have always had settings in the advanced window of the 'Target' tab to delete backup data for VMs that have been deleted from the job after a certain number of days respective to the policy. 30 days for the STR policy, 180 days for the MTR, and 365 days for the LTR.

It seems that the 180 and 365 entries are now outside of some sort of min/max value for that field. When I attempt to edit this setting on the MTR and LTR jobs, I get the following error and the normal pop up window does not appear:

Value of '[180/365]' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'. Parameter name: Value

the [180/365] section is either of those numbers, depending on which job I am trying to modify. The STR job does not have this issue and I am able to edit these settings as normal.

Steps taken to troubleshoot:
1. Cloned MTR and LTR jobs. Attempts to edit this field result in the same error, so I cannot simple clone the job, choose a new value and point it at the existing backup files. #Sad

2. Cloned the STR job. Edits of this job work as expected, with caveats. I attempted to increase the 'Remove deleted items after' value to 180 and 365 days on two separate instances. Both times I was allowed to save the settings and was not provided a warning that the value was out of range. When I re-edit the advanced settings, the value displays '100' and not what I input.

I discovered this today after being asked about certain servers and to ensure that we did not have any backups that were out of policy. I discovered that these backup copy jobs did not appear to be adhering to respective GFS settings and the backups of certain deleted servers were not being deleted per this specific setting.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Issue with Backup Copy Job Advanced Target Settings

Post by foggy »

Hi Jason, this is a known issue that will be addressed in the next update. There's a hotfix available through support as well.
jtupeck
Enthusiast

Post by jtupeck »

FANTASTIC. I will be on the lookout for a reply from Support.

Thanks, foggy.
jtupeck
Enthusiast

Post by jtupeck »

The response was to recreate my job from scratch and map it to the existing files. No mention of a hotfix, or that would be fixed in the next update. Is the 'hotfix' the recreation of a new job? That sounds more like a workaround, than a fix.
jtupeck
Enthusiast

Post by jtupeck »

Additionally, following the steps provided by support (set up new job, map it to the files) does not work. Even in new Backup Copy Job dialog windows, the error is prompted when attempting to edit the advanced settings. Holding out for Support's next reply.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Jason, please refer to case #03388879. Support engineer might not be aware of the hotfix.
jtupeck
Enthusiast

Post by jtupeck »

Thank you.
jtupeck
Enthusiast

Post by jtupeck »

I found that the default settings were set with a value above the buggy threshhold, so I saved the settings from the one job that works (STR) as the defaults for that screen and then was able to set up a new job. Waiting for Support's reply re: the case number you provided and hopefully the hotfix. Thanks!