Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
athome
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Anders Thome

Permissions on CIFS/share/NFS

Post by athome »

Hi!

When using Veeam in an Virtual appliance with minimum local disk, one has to either write to CIFS, Windows Share, or NFS(for replica)

I've discovered that Veeam Backup & Replication during restore uses the account that is logged in to the Veeam Server, rather than the account that Veeam B&R is set up to run as. Is there a way to change this? or change the permissions that Veeam set for its VBK, VBR, and VIB files.. aswell as for NFS actually?

Anyone got any experience around this?

A
Alexey D.

Re: Permissions on CIFS/share/NFS

Post by Alexey D. »

Anders, which type of restore are you using? Do you mean you can't access individual files (during restore) or VBK file on the share itself?
athome
Service Provider

Post by athome »

Well.. I see it at least on restore guest files for Windows.

A
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct. The default process to restore the individual files involves using Veeam console (currently logged in user). There is no way to use service account for that.

Could you please elaborate what is the problem you're trying to struggle with?
athome
Service Provider

Post by athome »

Well, we use CIFS on Data domain, so obviously we should integrate it into AD and let a group of backup administrators have access on the folders on CIFS.

We now get messages like the one below, when trying to restore guest files:

Code: Select all

TextFromTar failed

Client error: boost::filesystem::exists: Access is denied: "\\192.168.1.12\dd_cifs\dd_cifs_r\Veeam01\SANTEST2011-05-30T084751.vib"

Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [1812797047].
A
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

It looks like the problem arises even before the restore procedure actually starts. "Access is denied" when trying to reach the VIB file itself may point to unsufficient rights for B&R service account (the procedure is: first B&R tries to open the share under service credentials and if succeeded, restore process takes place).

Please contact our support team as we need the log files to continue with our assistance.
athome
Service Provider

Post by athome »

ok.. I can contact support.. but If I log in to the veeam server with the account that the veeam services are running as. restore is running fine.

A
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

Post by spgsit5upport »

I have the same, both service as logged in user as the same (local administrator)
Share is on Freenas8 CIFS, and it is fully accessible by administrator user (I can read/write to it with no problem)

Yet the backup gives error.

Seb
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Seb, please avoid posting log snippets as it is described when you click New Topic. Also if you have any technical problem with the product or you require urgent assistance, please contact our support team directly. Thanks!
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

Post by spgsit5upport »

BORING! It does not help (me) or anybody else

Seb
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Unfortunately, we cannot lookup the resolution for this issue, because the previous posters did not include his support case ID as we require. If you could come back and update this topic with a resolution provided by our support team, it would be much appreciated by all community members. Or at least, please post YOUR support case number, so that we could do this in future. Thanks!