Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

HPE StoreOnce 5200 with VEEAM

Post by Fegume »

Hello,

I have one VEEAM 9.5(virtual machine) with 1x10GB

I have one StoreOnce 5200 with two NICs 10Gb (bounding) MTU 1500

I have questions:

1.- Do I need change MTU on my StoreOnce to 9000?
2.- Do I need enable jumbo frame in my LACP port switch?
3.- Do I need change any properties network VEEAM backup server?
4.- How many ratio MB/s backup with this configuration?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: HPE StoreOnce 5200 with VEEAM

Post by foggy »

There are no special recommendations in regard to network settings, but keep in mind that you need to have Jumbo frames enabled on all devices on the network, to avoid packets drop/fragmentation.

As for the backup performance, it really depends on the entire processing chain that includes source storage, proxy, network, gateway server and StoreOnce itself, you can search the forum for what other StoreOnce people see in their environments to get some idea. Also, here's the Veeam/StoreOnce best practices document, worth reviewing while you're setting up everything.
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour » 1 person likes this post

1. no
2. no (ive only seen jumbo frames used across vlan'd iscsi san infrastructure.. if you have a 10gbe switch on the other side, keep in mind LACP will not give to 20gbe over a single stream of data, basically you can have multiple data streams/connections traversing the aggregated links, for say storage appliances, which will give you the potential of 20gbe, but individual streams will only go over a single link. a port cant exceed its given bandwidth. you also get redundancy).
3. no
4. really depends on your network, bc even if the HP has two 10gbe nics if you have a 1gbe nic/switch anywhere in your path you will not see 10gbe performance.
MatLoe
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mathieu L

Post by MatLoe »

Hi all,

I have the same question regarding the MTU config and reading both foggy and bdufour's answers doesn't really help :)
you need to have Jumbo frames enabled on all devices on the network
You mean having MTU=9000 on veeam Proxy + switch ports + StoreOnce?
1.- Do I need change MTU on my StoreOnce to 9000?
1. no
?!

FYI when I configured MTU=9000 on Veeam Proxy + switch ports + StoreOnce and the result was: I couldn't add a Catalyst repository backup from Veeam Server (it just hangs ...)
When changing to MTU=1500 on Veeam Proxy, it worked! But I still had MTU=9000 on the other components.

So, I'm kind of lost here about what config we should use ...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

It basically means that enabling jumbo frames is not a requirement for StoreOnce. But if you decide to do this, general practice is to enable them everywhere in the network (otherwise they will be blocked on devices that do not support that size).
MatLoe
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mathieu L

Post by MatLoe » 2 people like this post

FYI I finally figured it out: the problem was the MTU configuration on the physical proxy running Windows Server 2016 Core.
Since we use a NIC teaming, you have to set the MTU=9000 on both
  • physical NIC" using something like "Set-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty -Name "Embedded FlexibleLOM 1 Port 1" -RegistryKeyword '*JumboPacket' -RegistryValue '9014'"
  • team interface: using something like "netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "12" mtu=9014 store=persistent"