Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frejen
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Frej Eriksson

Duplicate backup files

Post by frejen »

Hi,

We are currently backing VMs to a local disk. We would like to duplicate the backup data from the source to a file share. There are two features in Veeam that seem to do this. VM copy and File Copy. But i can not find much infomration regarding the details of the features in the User Guide. What are the differences between the two methods?

If i perform a copy will all file be re-copied everytime? We are searching for some possibility to copy only changes. Because 12+ TB of data is not realistic to copy each time.

Best regards,
Frej
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Duplicate backup files

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Frej,

Neither VM Copy nor File Copy job performs incremental runs. If you want to sync backup files with another storage device, you may want to use rsync for that. Please search the forums for more information about rsync and incremental synchronization.

By the way, have you had a chance to check out our F.A.Q. topic where all basic questions has already been answered?

Thanks.
frejen
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Frej Eriksson

Post by frejen »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I did not go further than reading the User Guide. Rsync can be a good alternative if we can manage it to only copy incremental files and not a big VBK each time, guess we need to change properties on the backup job first. Copying the VBK file each time would take way to long time. It would be awesome to have the possibility within Veeam to write the changes that occur during each run to a remote backup set, like writing to two destinations.

cheers
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Frej, thanks for the feedback.