Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

Cloud Gateway suggestions

Post by collinp »

Does anyone know of a way to copy backups to either S3-IA Single zone or Glacier that meets the following requirements?

-I want to continue with Veeam Standard licenses
-I don't want to manage copy jobs (we already have 200 regular backup jobs to manage. Don't want to clutter the screen with 400). The appliance should just copy all Veeam backups to the cloud on the back-end.
-The appliance should deduplicate at a block level and when it sends its data to the cloud, it should not need to write the whole .vbk out to the cloud, just the changed blocks within the .vbk. Since the prior months .vbk will already be there, why should you need to re-write the file again.
-When we buy the appliance we want to own it out-right for 5 years. No yearly capacity licensing true-ups or anything like that.
-There should just be a single appliance not multiple appliances in the datacenter for redundancy. The redundancy is provided by the cloud backup copy.
-Data should be encrypted at rest and in-flight to AWS.
-Not only am I done with tapes, I'm done with something trying to mimic a tape. No VTL's. Just a good old fashion SMB or NFS share from the appliance.
-3-2-1 backup concept. 800TB of Backups in cache on appliance for instant restores. For 30 days of backups.

Seems simple, but it isn't.

-DD $$$$, capacity licenses, sales tactics, etc.
-Cohsty,Rub...how much metal do I need in my datacenter. I just need one hunk of metal...and yeah the same capacity licenses, sales tactics, etc.
-Synology? Would that copy to the cloud at a block level only the changed blocks? Seems more of a home user/small business device.
-AWS File Gateway. No dedup. Limited to 16TB cache disk.
-STORSIMPLE. Inside scoop is they aren't putting much R&D into this anymore. Will phase out.

Any others?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Cloud Gateway suggestions

Post by Gostev »

Do you need to start doing this immediately? Because Capacity Tier will support it in the next release (H2 2019), although being a part of SOBR this does require Enterprise edition license. However, looking at some of the alternatives you're consider, upgrading your licenses is relatively cheap.
collinp
Expert

Post by collinp »

Will capacity tier handle the copy to the cloud on the back-end for me or do I have to manage backup copy jobs to send the data out? And will capacity tier dedup into the cloud? So if I have a 20TB .vbk backup for a file server from January's active full in S3, and nothing changed in the file server, when I perform February's active full, will the whole 20TB need to be copied to S3 again or since all the blocks are the same, will zero bytes be transferred? This is just going off of best practices to perform a periodic active full.

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes to both.

Capacity Tier will handle the copy to the cloud on the back-end for you, so you don't have to manage Backup Copy jobs - just like it already works today offloading older backups to the cloud.

Also, already today Capacity Tier dedupes into the cloud, so in your example nothing will be transferred into the cloud except metadata updates to reflect the creation of the new restore point that leverages existing data blocks already in the cloud.

Thanks!
collinp
Expert

Post by collinp »

Nice. I'm in!
collinp
Expert