Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

GFS Tape Job as Secondary Target

Post by nunciate »

Anyone able to get a GFS Tape job to run as the secondary target of a VM backup job?
I'd like my GFS tapes to start as soon as the parent backup job is finished.

I updated to U4 today. In the GFS Tape job properties there is only an option to perform GFS scan daily at a specified time on the schedule tab.
In the VM backup job you can choose the GFS Tape job as the secondary target however when the backup job completes nothing happens with the tape job.

If it isn't possible I would like to make a feature request.
nunciate
Expert

Re: GFS Tape Job as Secondary Target

Post by nunciate »

Just spit balling here. Perhaps I could just run a post job script that would execute a start command on the GFS Tape job.
Anyone know what that command is right off the bat? I'll research it tomorrow probably.
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Hi Alan. You don't need to do anything special. Just leave the default start time for GFS tape job. It starts at 12:00 AM and turns to the 'Idle' state. Within 10 minutes (so-called 'task retry period') after the source job finishes, the tape job wakes up and starts processing the backups.
nunciate
Expert

Post by nunciate »

Thanks that does seem to be working. I see that my test jobs ran and then shortly thereafter the tape jobs ran even though they were set to scan at 12:00 AM they ran at 9:00 AM after the primary backup job ran at 8:30.

Thanks for the info.