Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Moccamaster
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jesper Pedersen

Tape backup while regular backup

Post by Moccamaster »

Im using Veeam B&R version 9.5 U4 and my tape backups are getting slow to complete (3days).
Currently the bottleneck is my san box running on ethernet and the LTO-6 technology. I will replace my LTO device with LTO9 when is comes available.

While this is no big issue for the tape backup it self, it is for my regular backup process, as it is placed on hold while the tape backup is running.

Are there any guide on how to have Tape Backup copy the files it needs to a temporary location and backup from there, and allow my other backup jobs to run on the main repository?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Tape backup while regular backup

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I'd suggest to configure a Backup Copy job and use it as a source for Tape Backup job. Is that feasible for you?

Thanks!
Moccamaster
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jesper Pedersen

Post by Moccamaster »

That would work perfectly.

Thanks for response
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

I am having slow tape out issues as well and created Case # 03458326 for this. Since upgrading to U4 on Wednesday last week I have noticed extremely slow tape response especially in our DR facility.
We have HP servers for storage in our HQ and DR facilities which are FC connected to our SANs and also FC connected to Quantum i80 tape libraries. There are 4 LTO6 drives in each library.
Even before the upgrade it took me quite some time to get all my full backups out to tape. We start doing synthetic full backups on Thursday nights and stagger the jobs through Sunday night.

I have been finding some tape jobs just stuck and running forever without completing. One of them ran over 50 hours this last weekend. Once that happens no other jobs run and everything is stopped.

I just had to kill another job just now as it was just sitting there for 10 hours when it should have completed super fast for the small amount of data it represented. Once I killed it other tape jobs started up.
rboynton
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Rick Boynton

Post by rboynton »

PTide: We just started using tape to backup jobs (both full VBK and VIB), and the problem we are running into is the tape job for a VM says "changes in source backup files detected, rescan required". We set the tape job to "prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs".

Backing up to tape is very slow, as you know. How can we simply back up existing full and incremental files instead of new ones that come along? We also have backup copy jobs that copy the backup files to our DR site. As you gave the recommendation above to use backup copy jobs as the source; would those also cause the problem where Veeam sees changes in the source backup files as well?