Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ivanildo.galvao
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ivanildo Galvão

Error trying to perform backup. Failed to open VDDK disk

Post by ivanildo.galvao »

I've been working for two days on a problem, but no solution. Using Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5, Update 03.
The same can not back up virtual machines, apparently for error of permission, but I have done everything or almost everything, according to articles I found on the internet.
The error is this:

Processing Apollo Error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[VMDATA02] Apolo / Apolo.vmdk] (is read-only mode - [true]) Logon attempt with parameters [VC / ESX: [calcario.vlb.local]; Port: 443 VMware Spec: [moref = vm-49]; Snapshot mor: [snapshot-146]; Transports: [nbd]; Read Only: [true]] failed because of the following errors : Failed to open disk for read. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

The error happens with all virtual machines.
vCenter is VCSA 6.0, ESXi 6.0 hosts, Dell storage, SAS type Compellent.
I have already removed vCenter from Veeam and added again, using administrator@vsphere.local, the Veeam server, hosts and vCenter are on the same network segment. The Veeam is a physical server, Dell with 48GB of RAM and two processors.
I already rebooted vCenter and also the hosts in order to restart the services, but it did not work.
We opened call with Veeam, the only response Veeam sent was that it was a permission error, nothing more.

Anyone have an idea how to solve this?
ivanildo.galvao
Influencer
Full Name: Ivanildo Galvão

Re: Error trying to perform backup. Failed to open VDDK disk

Post by ivanildo.galvao »

But I tested the hosts individually in Veeam, using the root user, then I try to perform a direct backup of the host, the error persists.
I put it on the Veeam forum, but so far no response.
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas »

Keep pushing with support I say.

If you're an adventurous type, check in the source agent logs from the proxy you use to do backups. You'll probably see those vddk13 errors, but just above where they start you'll see some other error from.

You might also wanna see if this applies https://www.veeam.com/kb2442

The tl;dr is Download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64) (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... n&id=15336)
mprashidedp1
Lurker
Full Name: Rashid MP

Post by mprashidedp1 »

Agent: Failed to find command set for class {VDDK}.

am also having this issue after updating to VBR 9.5 UPDATE 3A, as mentioned above post, i installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64), but still the same.

Kindly share me how to fix this.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Rashid,

It's hard to determine the root cause without looking at all the details. I would recommend you to open a case with our support team and post your case ID here.

Thanks
stilla99
Lurker
Full Name: Admir

Post by stilla99 »

mprashidedp1 wrote: Jan 09, 2019 7:52 am Agent: Failed to find command set for class {VDDK}.

am also having this issue after updating to VBR 9.5 UPDATE 3A, as mentioned above post, i installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64), but still the same.

Kindly share me how to fix this.
Hy Rashid, did you find a solution for your problem? many thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Rashid has never come back to update the topic with the found resolution or with the ID of the case opened.

So, I'd recommend opening your own case with our support team.

Thanks!
mdanker
Lurker

Post by mdanker »

I realize that this post is older, and the resolution was never posted. However, this just popped up for me and I'm wondering if anyone is monitoring and might have a solution. I too have a case opened, with Veeam through a MSP (for help as I"m newer to Veeam). The hotfix they suggested was applied and wasn't successful.

Thanks
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Mdanker,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums and thanks for posting!

Could you please share your case ID, so we can check the details? Btw, if the fix was not successful, you can reopen your case and ask the support team for additional help.

Thanks
Jshaw03
Lurker
Full Name: Jacob Shaw

Post by Jshaw03 »

This error can also be related to DNS, Firewalls, and Login Credentials. Ultimately, this error occurs because it fails communication with vCenter. Installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package ensures that the program can run using proper DLLs and actually function. Once the program can run correctly, it still needs to be able to pass proper data into the program to complete the backup (ie. credentials, vcenter ip/dns, and the ports that are utilized for this information to be passed). See below for additional steps.

You need a DNS entry to your vCenter from the proxy. A NSlookup in CMD should verify that entry.

Your login credentials that the proxy uses need to be functional with proper permissions.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

You need port 443 open for communication between vCenter and the proxy. You may want to validate other ports as well, if there is a firewall in between your proxy and vcenter.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... 95u4#proxy

This should probably be included in the KB ( https://www.veeam.com/kb2442 ) as additional troubleshooting steps.
kimtay
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joaquim Hilário Santos

Post by kimtay »

I'm having the same problem after upgrading to version 10. As a solution has not yet been published, wait for the ticket to close (04047018) and I will go it available here to the community.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy » 3 people like this post

If you've ever done programming with VDDK (I'm guessing this isn't many), you'll realize that VDDK errors are symptomatic, not explanatory. That is, VDDK only reports its own failure to perform its functions, it does not shed light to the real issue.

For example, if the VMKernel on your host is a 1 gbit NIC and starts to crap the bed, VDDK will throw a VDDK 13 error (Access Denied). The error isn't "wrong" -- indeed, VDDK could not connect to the disk; but it's not really access denied, it's just that the VDDK library error stacks are not great.

You need to check what happens in your application before hand and see what prompts the VDDK error; in Veeams case, my experience is that this is in the Agent logs that include the VMDK names. Just jump down to where you have the vddk error, and scroll up about 50 lines, and our experience in my shop has been you get a pretty good idea what went wrong.

Saves a ton of time, and a support case.
kimtay
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joaquim Hilário Santos

Post by kimtay » 1 person likes this post

Hi guys,
@Harvey, thanks for your suggestion.

The support team responded. The first solution offered was to include a registration key below:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication
Type: REG_DWORD
Name: VMwareDisableAsyncIo=1
Value data: 0
Base: Hexadecimal
But it did not work. In a second step, the solution was to change the key to:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication
Type: REG_DWORD
Name: VMwareDisableAsyncIo
Value data: 1
Base: Hexadecimal
After this adjustment, my backups were back up and running without any problems. :D
Thanks all!
dubilava
Lurker
Full Name: Davit Ubilava

Post by dubilava »

Hello,

I had a similar error, just enable ESXi vmkernel adapter services like "Provosioning" and etc...