Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ebbperra
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: PO Olsson

Help with backup config for a server scenario

Post by ebbperra »

Hello

I wonder if i could get some tip on how to set this backup up for a specific scenario as follows.

There will be some hyper-v servers as well as physical servers and workstations involved in the final setup and I will add the payed versions of the products in the final stage, but the first test setup i have been browsing through today has been with the community edition product of B&R 9.5 update 4 installed.

Environment (one physical server and one NAS to hold the backup)
1 Windows 2012 Standard
this hosts 1 hyper-v server and is also the file/print server

I have a Synology DS412+ NAS that is supposed to be the placement of the repository (linux target)
the B&R is installed on the server and the backup job is a managed by server job so that will install the agent on the server as well for backing up specific files from the server to the nas.

So, the thought of the setup is like this:
one job that puts a set of files in a specific repository that will then be copied to a cloud service with veeams cloud connect feature, thus having that data backed up locally but also in a offsite environment.
another job that backups up other data of the server to the NAS in a second repository ,and this will not be to a offsiste place in the cloud, there are data that is not in the need of having the extra cost of cloud storage.

the backup for the files(the more important data you could say) should be backup up and stored like this:
a)the last 30 days should be able to be restored from day to day basis
b)1 time a month, save a point in time copy for 12 months before overwriting with a new monthly copy.
c) then once every 6 months they will make a point in time backup to an external disk that will be kept in a bank deposit för 10 years or so for long term offsite safe storage.

So configuring the backup job in the community edition (maybe the full have more options here) i will be able to set a number of restore points and also when to do a full backup job.
but i can't figure out if it is possible to somehow use the above backup scenario without making new full backups each months, thus getting a lot of backup data?
I could set the restore points to 30, to take care of the first "a)" demand. then i could do a full backup each month but that would create a lot of data as the server file section is abut 2.5TB in size.
i guess i am missing how things work, but if anyone could point me in the correct direction here i would be grateful.

thanks
PO
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Help with backup config for a server scenario

Post by ejenner »

Not sure if this is an option in the version you have but when you set up a 'Backup Copy' job it gives you different options in the schedule.

ebbperra
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: PO Olsson

Post by ebbperra »

Hi
thanks for the reply, yep i do have that as well, but then i guess this means i cannot from the initial backup have the scenario i want, i first have to do a backup of the 2.5TB and then copy that again to a local storage space (to be able to do a quick restore) and then again sync that backup copy job data to the offsite location? or have the backup copy job save it in two locations.... the aim is to store the entire year as described above locally and also in the cloud for offsite protection. but maybe there is no way around having the data stored twice locally to achieve this?
//Perra
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
b)1 time a month, save a point in time copy for 12 months before overwriting with a new monthly copy.
That is, you want to have 12 monthly copies, each being kept for a year, right?

c) then once every 6 months they will make a point in time backup to an external disk that will be kept in a bank deposit för 10 years or so for long term offsite safe storage.
This cannot be achieved with GFS. You can configure a separate backup job with 1 restore point and schedule it to run active full on specific days of specific months (e.g. 1st of January and 1st of July). That will give you one full backup once in a half a year. Another option would be to write a custom script that would activate/deactivate backup copy job once in 6 months and trigger an active full for it, but that lies out of the scope of the product.

Thanks!