Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

Target recommendations

Post by dhayes16 »

Hello all. We have been rolling with Veeam for a few months now and have primarily been using Dell poweredge servers for backup targets and DR options. However we have aarger opportunity now with 10 hyperv VM's and 3 physical windows servers that they want to backup and also replicate to a cloud provider. They have about 8tb of storage running ssds.

So we want to provide a reliable backup target as well as have the ability to spin up VM's for DR purposes. Any thoughts and recommendations for this scenario? Hardware specs?

Thanks all
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Target recommendations

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

In my response I'm going to assume that you're asking this because you consider Dell PowerEdge servers as an overkill for this environment, and want to reduce your costs as MSP by not going with enterprise-grade hardware.

Honestly, pretty much any Windows 10 PC should do for this scenario, considering such a small size of the environment... most PC cases are able to fit 4 LFF hard drives, so with OS partition on SSD or NVMe drive this will give you 32TB raw capacity with 8TB hard drives (before RAID) - should be plenty for 8TB of source data, especially if you use ReFS.

As for RAM, you probably want to go with 32GB, considering how cheap it is these days. And any modern CPU. This should be enough to run a few backups as Hyper-V VMs in a DR scenario.

Thanks!
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

Re: Target recommendations

Post by dhayes16 »

Thanks very much. Actually the opposite. We do want Enterprise Grade servers. I should have elaborated on our BDR's for other people. We use Dell T30 servers typically with 32GB of RAM and RAID with Storage Spaces. We were actually considering higher end than the T30's. Perhaps T330's. Perhaps I am overthinking this but I want this target to be high end enough to have the replication of the 10 VM's as well as the Physical Agents and also be available for a DR scenario.

Thanks