Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
neilvbell
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil V. Bell

How to migrate from domain proxies and repositories to workgroup (for ransomeware protection)

Post by neilvbell »

Hi all,

So I have seen lots of comments (mostly from Gostev's excellent weekly email) regarding isolating your Veeam infrastructure from your domain infrastructure in order to make it harder for ransomeware attacks to shaft your backup files. I have had this on my to-do list for a while but now that I am looking I can't find a useful guide (ideally step-by-step) that will walk me though isolating my backup files. My repositories are hosted as windows volumes (fibre-attached from spinning disk arrays) on my Windows server proxies (physical, primarily Server 2016 but one recently created 2019). Can anyone point me at a good guide or two on what I need to un-pick and re-configure without breaking my backup system?

Kind regards,

Neil
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: How to migrate from domain proxies and repositories to workgroup (for ransomeware protection)

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

I think Veeam offer a 'hardening' guide you might be able to find.
neilvbell
Novice

Re: How to migrate from domain proxies and repositories to workgroup (for ransomeware protection)

Post by neilvbell »

Thanks ejenner. Does anyone know what this guide might be called and where I might find it?
stryker54141
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by stryker54141 » 1 person likes this post

Neil,

I'm going through the exact same thing as you, for the same reasons. (thanks Gostev!) I just found the link below.

https://bp.veeam.expert/infrastructure_hardening

David
neilvbell
Novice

Post by neilvbell »

Excellent, thank you David. Now I just need to translate these into modification of an existing Veeam infrastructure without breaking it all. Cautious "whoop"!

Cheers,
Neil