Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
luan.brasil94
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Luan Gomes

Licensing per Socket and Subscription in same management interface

Post by luan.brasil94 »

Hi,

I have a client that has two datacenters where it is doing the replication between them, with socket licensing of veeam backup and replication ent +.

But it does have some remote locations that it has the licensing subscription of 100 VMs (instance) to replicate them to the main datacenter.

That is, it has two license files:

Perpetual socket license
License by vm (Instance) subscription

The customer wants to manage these two licenses through the same management interface.

How could it be? Through enterprise manager? Has anyone ever had this kind of setup? How did proceed?

Thanks very much!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Licensing per Socket and Subscription in same management interface

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Centralized management is not possible in this scenario.

Before U4, customers were not allowed to own different license types for their VMs at all. They had to choose how they do business with Veeam (Perpetual or Subscription) for all of their data centers.

Starting U4, customers are allowed to own multiple license of different types and editions, however all licenses must be used in completely separate backup infrastructures, without centralized management. For more details, see the Licensing section of the What's New document.

Thanks!
Slingfox
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Imrie

Post by Slingfox »

We're experiencing the same issue, despite the fact we went through our requirements with TechData and Daria from Veeam Sales.

I just don't understand it - I appreciate some businesses out there may have the budget for two seperate platforms but a small business with <25 users can't justify the cost. They currently have a perpetual 2 CPU socket license Essentials Ent, and on advice from Veeam (Daria) the client just purchased a subscription 10 instance Essentials Ent license to cover their Veeam agent requirements.

We're not over the 30 instance limit for Essentials, yet nobody is helping us (to in turn help the client) or even providing a solution to what we're trying to do.

Starting to pull my hair out and it's the first time I've felt like this with Veeam.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand the scenario from your post, and what specific issue you're looking for help solving. Also, your case seems unrelated to this topic, as it talks about "agent needs" - while the original question and answer were about VMs-only scenario.

Thanks!