Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

General SureBackup questions

Post by Daveyd »

Is it possible in a SureBackup job to pick and choose what VMs you want to verify manually? Say I have 2 jobs. I consists of 20 database servers and 1 thats consists of 20 web servers. I would like a member of my management team to be able to test accessing 1 particular database server through 1 particualr web server from a backup job. Would I just need to create an application group with those 2 VMs in it? If I choose to link a backup job, it does not seem like I can choose which VMs to start out of the 20 database or 20 web server VMs.
Alexey D.

Re: SureBackup scripts for Tomcat and MYSQL

Post by Alexey D. »

Yes, it would be better to create an application group which consists of those 2 VMs. In this case, you can skip linking your backup job.

For better understanding how things around application groups and linked jobs work, just follow these links:
Application Groups
SureBackup (Recovery Verification)

Hope it helps!
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

It does help, thank you!

I am able to RDP and use an installed web client to access the web server in my virtual lab with no issues by using the Static Mapping feature. Is it possible to use a UNC path (\\labserverIP\c$) to copy files to my local workstation while the lab is running?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, it is possible, but be aware that by default SureBackup virtual machines cannot pass through the Proxy Appliance to the production network, thus meaning you won't access your network share either without playing with a routing table.

All you need to do to allow an outgoing traffic is to update a routing table for the proxy appliance in the following way:
1. choose any masquerade IP address inside your virtual lab
2. match this IP address with an IP address of a desired production machine

Once you've done that, try to access the production VM via masquerade IP from the Virtual Lab, should work.

On top of that, here is a really good blog post regarding Virtual Lab networking, that should clear everything up in case my explanation was a bit complicated.
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

What about accessing a share from my workstation to the lab VM? I can sucessfully use RDP to access the lab VM from my PC so in theory, I should also be able to browse to the network share on the lab VM using the IP address defined in the static mapping, correct?

Another question...if this is another topic, please create one....I did a successful SureBackup job for a Domain Controller. It successfully verified the Domain Controller and DNS scripts. However, when I try and log onto the VM, I am unable to. It comes back with "the username or password is incorrect" no matter who logs into it. It seems as in the DC from the backups cannot authenticate me. My credentials obviously work on the production Domain Controllers

Any thoughts?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: General SureBackup questions

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can access your isolated VMs from production environment. Take a look at this link for more details: Virtual Lab

As regards your second question... could you please clarify whether you've tried to access this VM after all health checks were successfully performed? If yes, then I would recommend opening a support case for assistance/investigation, as this would be most effective. Thanks.
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, you can access your isolated VMs from production environment. Take a look at this link for more details: Virtual Lab

As regards your second question... could you please clarify whether you've tried to access this VM after all health checks were successfully performed? If yes, then I would recommend opening a support case for assistance/investigation, as this would be most effective. Thanks.
Correct, I am trying to log to the VM, either via RDP or the VI Console, after the health checks (Domain Controller and DNS) have sucessfully completed and getting the incorrect username or password message. I can open a case with support
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Did you wait long enough, because a Domain Controller will automatically start in safe mode and then try to perform an non-authorative restore. After that it will reboot once more.
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

I waited 15+ minutes after everything completed sucessfully. I can try it again and wait longer if need be
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

GabesVirtualWorld wrote:Did you wait long enough, because a Domain Controller will automatically start in safe mode and then try to perform an non-authorative restore. After that it will reboot once more.
Does it reboot into safemode as part of the SureBack routine? I did not notice the VM rebooting. It has been 30 minutes since the Domain Controller and the DNS checks were completed by SureBackup and I still get the "incorrect username or password" message when I try and log in to the DC
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Successful completion of DC and DNS checks means these services were started and corresponding ports were open (by default, SureBackup scripts check for open ports only). However DC can still keep going with procedures for non-authorative restore.

As you are waiting for so long and DC doesn't reboot, this case looks similar to yours: DNS availability on domain controller delayed after restore.
You may try the workaround suggested in the topic.

Also, more information on how DC boots in a virtual lab can be found here: Veeam B&R v5 recovery of a domain controller.
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

I tried another SureBackup of a Web and DB server. I have the DB server starting up and being verified first. The job fails with the error message "VMtools did not start in a timely matter". Obviousy the VMtools on the production work fine and after a reboot as well. Any suggestions?
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Dave, that might happen due to low performance of datastore/host where your virtual lab resides. You may try increasing startup timeout for the Tools. Please refer to this thread for further explanation: surebackup "vmware tools did not start in a timely manner".
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

The datastore that the virtual lab resides on is a RAID5 LUN consisting of 10 FC drives on our CX4...hardly a slouch :)

I can try increasing the timeouts and see if that helps