Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
andreas2012
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andreas

Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Post by andreas2012 »

Hi,

Suddenly I am getting a lot of errors on the SQL servers on VMware. This is is the error message

Code: Select all

22.01.2019 07:02:25 :: Error: NTFS file: failed to read 16777216 bytes at offset 0
Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Exception from server: NTFS file: failed to read 16777216 bytes at offset 0
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [3].
Failed to download disk.
I know we have latency issues on the storage device where the VM`s are running, could this be related ?
It seems to work if I do several retries...

Thanks for answers
/Andreas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Andreas,

This issue needs to be investigated by our support team, so, kindly, open a case and share the case ID in this thread. Thank you!
Kristien
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}

Post by Kristien »

Support case : case 03439104

Hello,

We had problems with a virtual machine. It was shut down and then someone accidentally put inflate disc on.

Afterwards we removed the virtual machine from vsphere to solve some errors to get it up.

Afterwards I get this error in veeam:

Code: Select all

Error: NTFS file: failed to read 16777216 bytes at offset 0 Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
I solved it by making a new job, all went well for 1 week and then this error occured again. I made again a new job which succeeded and run incremental for 7 days and again on sunday it fails with this error. Now we are not able to make a full or an incremental anymore.

We already followed this KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2048201 with support but no luck.

Another suggestion is to move this vm's disks to another datastore, but we don't have the room on other datastores to do this.

Has somebody got an idea to fix this ?

Thanks, Kristien.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Which ESXi version are you running? Is it 6.7 by any chance? I am asking because I've noticed that you run VBR U3 whereas ESXi 6.7 requires minimum Update 3a, and ESXi 6.7U1 required VBR U4.

Thanks!
Kristien
Novice

Post by Kristien »

We are running 6.0.0
jadLEBANON
Influencer
Full Name: Jad Raad

[MERGED] Error: VDDK operation timed out

Post by jadLEBANON »

Dear all,

please note the following error i received on my full tape job for the first time in 2 years:

Error: VDDK operation timed out: Read Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

i will be grateful if you share your thoughts with me.

Thank you in advance,
jad
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jad,
Please include your support case ID when posting about any technical issues, as requested when you click New Topic.
Thanks!
kerberos464
Veeam Software
Full Name: Dmitry Burtsev

Post by kerberos464 »

Hello all,
I have a similar issue and the error message is "Error: NTFS file: failed to read 1048576 bytes at offset 0 Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}."
I opened a ticket to technical support, but unfortunately it was closed without any answer, since we are using community version of Veeam B&R on that server.

Ticket number is 04037581.
Please help! Thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hello, unfortunately, people behind this community forum are not able to troubleshoot such issues as they require deep logs investigation. This kind of error can be caused by multiple issues so support assistance is definitely required here. Try to open a case again when support becomes less busy after the v10 release.
eduardorp88
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eduardo Rojas

Post by eduardorp88 » 1 person likes this post

getting error NTFS File: Failed to read 1048576 bytes offset 0

solve it by vMotion of the virtual machine to another host.
in my case different jobs failed but only the vm that lived in a specific host.
once the vmotion is done, restart the host so that all the vmware services will start again.
The jobs are already working correctly.
also try to make Storage vMotion