Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jraymond
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jay Raymond

Transport modes

Post by jraymond »

I've looked through the forum and haven't really found my answer. I do have a ticket open and am actively working with support, but I am interested to see what others have to say.

I have created a new self contained Backup Server with a ton of storage space (+60TB) on it and will be using iLand in the near future.
I designed it to use Direct SAN Access to keep the data traffic off my LAN.
I have been struggling with a few things though. When I first set it up and tested I was getting around 120MBs. This was done on both my largest and my smallest servers running full backups.
Once I was satisfied that all would work as intended I cleared the test jobs and cleared the test backups from the storage to start fresh.
Built all new jobs and started things. Suddenly I am getting only about 40MBs to 50MBs on any given job and that really confuses me.
My current backup VM has all three datastores connected properly VIA the iSCSI initiator and backups work. They are just slower than I expected.

I have worked with support on this and I have another call later today with them.
Yesterday I threw up a new VM on one of my production hosts to be used as a Veeam proxy to try Hot Add, but I am getting errors when trying to use it.
Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: No backup proxy is able to process this VM due to proxy processing mode restrictions.
In the logs for one of the VM's in the job that failed I have this.
[ViProxyEnvironment] Initialization of ViProxyEnvironment for the proxy 10.10.1.248 (3c1296e6-5f03-4b8b-ae39-90b365b1703a).
[15.03.2019 08:28:17] <19> Info [ViProxyEnvironment] The proxy cannot be used for write.
[15.03.2019 08:28:17] <19> Info [ViProxyEnvironment] The proxy has NBD mode.
[15.03.2019 08:28:17] <19> Info [ViProxyEnvironment] The proxy has not SAN mode.
Not really sure what all that means. Searches for it brought me to a thread that started off with that issue, but turned into an issue with VM that have 3+ HDD attached. I don't have that issue.

My question is:
What really is the best transport mode? Keep in mind I am trying to keep everything off my LAN using the iSCSI connections to the SAN as the network of choice. However, I would like the fastest possible mode so I can maintain incrementals during the day with no real effect to my users.

Thanks!!
Jay
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Transport modes

Post by foggy »

Hi Jay, in general both hotadd and direct SAN provide comparable performance, but depending on the environment, one or the other might be faster. Regarding inability to use hotadd please see if any of the hotadd limitations apply. Thanks!