Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
bostjanc
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: bostjanc

How to exclude correctly?

Post by bostjanc »

Hi guys.

Trying to exclude some files on Veeam Agent on Windows but it is not working as desired.

How to achieve to make BMR backup with free Veeam agent and exclude files?

This our scenario.
1. We have selected FILE LEVEL BACKUP in the configuration and NOT volume level backup.
2. At the next phase on ADVANCED button we select FILE FILTER to file types that we wish to exclude (for example *.safe) but they are still being backed up.
3. We also select checkbox at OPERATING system option but this switches from FILE LEVEL BACKUP to VOLUME LEVEL backup, so here is probably the itchy part of the problem.

So how to have MBR backup with exclusion configured correctly?
If we don't select OPERATING SYSTEM checkbox in the configure backup wizard will we still be able to restore OS if entire C: drive is selected? My guess is that we won't because it will not backup also boot partitions, are we correct?

Print screen bellow:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jvLJ8Q ... sp=sharing

Please advise!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: How to exclude correctly?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Bostjanc,

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20 tells you exactly how you need to exclude and include.

To perform what you want to do, you need to create a (what I call) hybrid backup. Just select file backups, and then select all the volumes (also the hidden ones). This will give you all the necessary volumes. In fact, when you select the checkbox next to a volume it will become automatically a volume backup and not a file backup. For the specific drive, then deselect one file and do your exclusions.

If I am not mistaken, you will see (after the backup) the filename in the Veeam Explorer but can you check if you can actually recover that file? I believe it will just be there as a filename but 0 bytes.

If not, we need to let our engineers have a look and see what is going wrong (Yes, even with the free version you get support but it comes without SLA)

Let us know
Mike
xrated
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Rechberger

Re: How to exclude correctly?

Post by xrated »

As soon "Operating system" is checked, its not possible to exclude folders in GUI or to provide any file exclusion masks like *.file

Can this be changed because many users only have 1 partition containing all the data