Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: RH

License Confusion

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

I have a simple Veeam B&R installation with these licenses, which were bought before Update 4 (so legacy licenses):

- 4 Sockets Veeam B&R Enterprise (Perpetual, Support until January 2021)
- 4 Veeam Agents (different support runtime, between April 2019 and February 2021)

Now, I converted the licenses to the new Update 4 license modell.

The four sockets were converted to four sockets and four free instances and each agent was converted to ten instances. I tried to merge the different licenses but the result was each time the same, I have 4 sockets and 10 instances licensed. After reading lots of stuff in the forum and after studying the new licensing policy I understood, that this result should be correct because the free instances (which came with the sockets) are automatically removed after merging it with any subscription-based license. Is that correct? In addition, the agent licenses were summed up first and then rounded up to the next 10, so it doesn't matter if I have one or four Veeam Agents. Is that the way it works?

So, how should I handle my licenses concerning the support runtime? I assume that I have to merge the four sockets license with the agent license with the longest runtime (February 2021), so I have a valid license file for four sockets and ten instances which has a runtime until February 2021 and support runtime until January 2021. Am I right? The other three agent licenses became useless because I won't get more than 10 instances.

I hope its clear what I mean although I wrote a lot of confusing license details :)

Thanks in advance
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: License Confusion

Post by DGrinev »

Hello,

Your understanding is correct regarding the merge process and rounding up.
Right, those free instances (which came with the sockets) are removed after merge.

You can merge all licenses, thus the earliest expiration date will be shown. Upon reaching the expiration date you can undo the merge and exclude the expired license, so the next expiration date will be shown for newly merged license. Thanks!
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Thank you for you reply.

What's the advantage of merging all licenses if I have 10 instances indepedent of the number of merged licenses? It's seems to be the easiest solution to merge the sockets and the agent license with the longest experation date to cover all installed and used products.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

You're right, you can merge with the license which will be active till February 2021, since it doesn't affect the number of instances. Thanks!
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Great, thanks!