Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Backup copy jobs - can they be on their own server?

Post by ejenner »

I was thinking of having a separate Backup & Replication server to manage backup copies.

However, since installing Veeam B&R on that server it does not seem to offer the option to create a 'backup copy' job.

So I'm assuming backup copy jobs can only be run for backup jobs which already exist on the same Backup & Replication server? i.e. you can't copy backups from another B&R server?

What would be the recommended way of achieving my goal of creating a second copy of our backups? Do I have to configure the copy jobs on the original B&R server and not install B&R remotely?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup copy jobs - can they be on their own server?

Post by foggy »

With two different Veeam B&R instances you would need to create 'dummy' backups jobs on the second instance, map them to the backups created by the first one and perform periodic rescans prior to running backup copies created on the second instance. Not an ideal setup. What is the reason for having a separate backups server just for backup copies?
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

I have just over 400 jobs configured on the main B&R server. It would be nice to have the copies separated out on their own system. But I'll take on board your suggestion of how to do it and decide whether or not to separate it out or keep it all on one server.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

With so many jobs it would be quite a tedious task to perform and maintain.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

Does seem like it could be a bit tough. I guess it's not so bad if you use the categorized views so you only display 'backup' or 'backup copy' jobs depending on which view you have selected. Presumably if I set up any tape jobs we will have a view for tape jobs as well. and 1200 jobs...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, there's a separate subnode for each job type.