Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Jeff M
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jeffrey Michael James
Location: Texas Tech Univ. TOSM Computer Center, 8th Street & Boston Avenue, Lubbock, TX 79409-3051

Pending Reboot after upgrade u4

Post by Jeff M »

If I update a B&R Server with u4 that is backing up both Windows and Linux agents, if after update a server requires reboot will it continue to backup if it can not be rebooted immediately. Or will it have to be rebooted before it will backup again? In other words if an agent server is pending reboot after update U4 applied will it continue to backup prior to reboot?

Jeff
Jeff M
Data Center Operations
Technology Operations & Systems Management
Texas Tech University System
jeff.james@ttu.edu
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Pending Reboot after upgrade u4

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jeff,

Are you talking about a reboot of the servers that are running the agents? If I am not mistaken there is no reboot necessary in this case and the job will continue as is.
Jeff M
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jeffrey Michael James
Location: Texas Tech Univ. TOSM Computer Center, 8th Street & Boston Avenue, Lubbock, TX 79409-3051

Post by Jeff M »

No, I was talking about the server being backed up whose agent is managed by the B&R server. Post update u4 I have many agent (physical) servers that say they require reboot but still backed up anyway. I also have many requiring reboot that will not backup..

Jeff
Jeff M
Data Center Operations
Technology Operations & Systems Management
Texas Tech University System
jeff.james@ttu.edu
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

OK. In some cases a reboot will be required. That can have several reasons, most likely because a pending reboot was already required, some updates in between or some of the VSS components (in case of Windows) needed an update and that means the backup cannot be taken.

Makes sense?
alex.talmage
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Managed Veeam Agent and B&R Update 4

Post by alex.talmage »

HI All,

I wonder if somebody from Veeam, or somebody who has updated from V&R 9.5 Update 3a to Update 4, could help me?

We use Veeam Agent for Windows Managed Version currently. If I upgrade B&R to 9.5 Update 4, is there a forced upgrade of the managed agents? I remember upgrading to update 3, we had to upgrade all agents, which also needed a reboot, before they could be backed up. Is this the case with Update 4 also?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Managed Veeam Agent and B&R Update 4

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Alex,

Since the Agent version before 3.0 is supported by Veeam B&R Update 4, you can initiate update whenever you want.
That's shouldn't affect your current Agent backup activities. Thanks!
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Post by ChuckS42 » 1 person likes this post

The reboot is required because the new Agent requires .NET 4.6, and that needs a reboot. The previous Agent only needed .NET 4.5.2.

Historically, in my experience, if you attempt an Agent upgrade and it is left in a state where a reboot is required, further backup attempts will fail until the reboot happens. We'll see tonight if that's still true.
Veeaming since 2013
andyman3000
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andy Perkins

Post by andyman3000 »

Chuck/Anyone

How did your in place upgrade from VBR 9.5 3a to u4 effect your managed Veeam Agents jobs? I need to plan an upgrade and usually plan to hit around patch/reboot cycles to finalize any required reboots. My problem is that Dev and Prod are on different weeks. I can’t risk not backing up for a week to wait for next reboot cycle.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Andy,

It shouldn't? Besides the upgrade of .NET 4.6 (if needed) the rest should remain as is? Best is that you query what versions of .NET is installed on those machines. (At least, if I understood your question...)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

andyman3000 wrote:How did your in place upgrade from VBR 9.5 3a to u4 effect your managed Veeam Agents jobs? I need to plan an upgrade and usually plan to hit around patch/reboot cycles to finalize any required reboots.
I would try to match the maintenance window of your production infrastructure since this is the most critical piece. For the dev infrastructure, then forcing a reboot might be a less painful task.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

Wanted to clarify few things about the possible reboot requirement.

Generally reboot is not required when you are upgrading agents to v3. This also valid for CBT driver update as we implemented the new logic which won't force users to reboot the machine immediately and will keep the jobs operational.

Reboot is required when Operating System is stuck in pending for reboot state (as such state blocks software installers). Might be caused by Windows update or other software installation when reboot was not performed as a part of installation procedure i.e. was canceled /delayed / declined.

Reboot might be required when you are upgrading agent on Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. We do not have 100% confirmation in our labs, but most likely this behavior is caused by the fix provided with KB4038923 (August 15, 2017). Here is the official MS KB article - Update for the .NET Framework 4.6 on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (KB4038923).

Reboot might be required by bundled SQL components and it's upgrade. That's not mandatory, but might happen as well.

Hope this helps to clarify the confusion. Cheers!
ChuckS42
Expert

Post by ChuckS42 » 1 person likes this post

andyman3000 wrote: Feb 11, 2019 3:10 am Chuck/Anyone

How did your in place upgrade from VBR 9.5 3a to u4 effect your managed Veeam Agents jobs? I need to plan an upgrade and usually plan to hit around patch/reboot cycles to finalize any required reboots. My problem is that Dev and Prod are on different weeks. I can’t risk not backing up for a week to wait for next reboot cycle.
Not at all, it turns out. My Agent jobs still run as they should. I have a separate .NET upgrade scheduled for when monthly patches are deployed, and when that's done I'll update the Agents.
Veeaming since 2013
paarth164
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: parth

[MERGED] Veeam Agent upgrade to 3.0

Post by paarth164 »

We have deployed veeam agent using protection groups in Veeam B&R. (Veeam agent current version 2.1.0.423).

Now upgrading this agent will require a reboot? and Does new installation of Veeam agent 3.0 require a reboot on windows and linux ?

Thanks,
Parth Patel
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam Agent upgrade to 3.0

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Parth,

The agent upgrade doesn't require reboot, however, it requires new .NET 4.6 which can request system reboot.
Please review this discussion for additional information. Thanks!
paarth164
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: parth

Post by paarth164 »

Okay Thanks
ChuckS42
Expert

Post by ChuckS42 »

And with v10 we're back in the same boat. The new Agent requires .NET 4.7.2, which requires a reboot. My Windows HA clusters required the reboot before a backup could be run; my stand-alone agents did not - they continued to function, until yesterday. Now none will run backups until the reboot happens (scheduled for this weekend). Didn't see any references to this behavior in the docs.
Veeaming since 2013
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Chuck,

Yes, reboot requirements depend on many factors, so if you're planning to upgrade the agent, then a reboot operation should also be planned.

Thanks!
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

I can confirm Vitaliy's strategy of planning on a reboot when upgrading - good practice.

I upgraded two email servers with v4; I checked via CLI and/or PowerShell that .NET 4.7.2 was installed based on the feedback I received.

But I had to reboot - I probably misinterpreted the output, but the output looked just like the screenshot I found on the web - :roll:

The admin was not happy - I'd told him that .NET 472 was already installed - but life goes on.