Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
best74
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Brian Løfqvist Jensen

How to mount usb drives from veeam recovery media

Post by best74 »

Hi, i'm trying to restore from a backup located on a USB harddrive, and restore files to another usb drive.

How do you mount the drives? When i choose to mount in veeam, it can only see the internal HDD.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: How to mount usb drives from veeam recovery media

Post by ejenner »

If you're restoring I think you have to restore your files from a repository. Maybe someone will correct that assumption if I'm wrong?

So the USB drive which has the backups on it must be connected to your repository server and added as a repository. Alternatively, if you have space on another repository you can copy the files from the USB drive onto the repository and then import backups. The backups will show as imported and that is where you restore from.

Not sure about the reason for not being able to see the location to restore to. I'm guessing you are going to have problems getting that far if you've not managed to find the backups to restore?

What kind of backup are you trying to restore? Maybe if it is a volume backup it might not see the USB drive as a valid location to restore to.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: How to mount usb drives from veeam recovery media

Post by PTide »

Hi,

To restore files from a backup file you don't have to use recovery media - just select "[R]ecover Files" in the main screen and select the backup file to recover files from. Provided that both drives are mounted, you should be able to see both source and target usb drives (VAL won't mount them automatically).

If it is absolutely required to perform restores via recovery media, then please drop in command-line and mount USB drive manually from there using mount.

Thanks!