Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Tehlak
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam Endpoint for Windows 2.1 cannot access Shared folders

Post by Tehlak »

Hi,

i've got a strange behavior on a fresh Windows 10 1803 installation -> it is not possible for Veeam to access shares or even the share list.

When i click on "Browse" after 10-15 Seconds the Windows that opens displays the Error: The Network Address is not reachable. More Information are found in [blank].

On Machines not freshly installed with 1803 it works without problems.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Endpoint for Windows 2.1 cannot access Shared fold

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Tehlak.

Update might change firewall or network surrounding settings. Can you check if you can access files shares from regular Windows explorer? Thanks.
Tehlak
Lurker

Post by Tehlak »

Hi and thank for the Welcome,

i disabled the Firewall. Other Computer can access the share without any problems, even from veeam. Only the fresh installation for windows 10 - 1803 does not allow it.

This is the exact error: Image
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Does it require access permissions? Try to type in the path to this file share manually and specify account if that's required.
JohnnyMc
Novice
Full Name: Johnny

Post by JohnnyMc »

Greetings. I am having similar issues during bare metal recovery. I receive the same error when I try to browse the network, additionally, when I try to specify a network share, I receive the following error:
You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or HIGHER for more info on resolving this issue, see
Here is what I did in an attempt to solve the issue:
- I updated the NAS (Lacie 5 Big Network 2), hoping it would enable support for newer SMB protocols. This did not produce any results.
- Enable SMB1 on recovery media. The recovery environment is created from the original OS which had SMB1 disabled. I enabled all SMB1 features on the original OS, rebooted, and then created a recovery media, hoping it would include the necessary SMB1 settings, however, this did not produce any results.
- Furthermore, I am unable to connect to any network share, period.

I am able to do a bare metal restore from a hard disk attached via USB, however, I am still unable to restore over the network. Any ideas? Might you know a way to ena
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Johnny,

If Recovery media was recreated from Windows 10 with SMB1 disabled you should recreate Recovery media after this feature is installed in operation system (you can use any other Windows 10 machine). Error represents that your NAS still lacks SMB3 support - please check NAS console as you might need to enable this feature manually.
JohnnyMc
Novice

Post by JohnnyMc »

Hi Dima,
Thank you for replying.
...you should recreate Recovery media after this feature is installed in operation system...
I did attempt this and I explained it with my second bullet-point. My apologies if I was not clear.

Regarding SMB3 compatibility between my recovery media and my NAS... It is a 'LaCie 5 Big Network 2' and there is no command line utility so I don't think I can manually install SMB3. Other machines on the network have the latest windows update, which disables SMB1, and these machines connect to my NAS with no trouble. This tells me my NAS is compatible with SMB2 or SMB3. The issue seems to be in veeam.

Additionally, after creating the recovery media on an SMB1-enabled machine, I am still unable to 'browse' the network for connections. I receive the error, 'Last Error: The network path was not found."

I was wondering if there might be a way to use the command line from the recovery environment to enable SMB1 but I was not able to figure it out. Or perhaps I could edit the .wim in the .iso? It is a bit beyond my experience, though.

Might somebody have another suggestion?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I am still unable to 'browse' the network for connections. I receive the error, 'Last Error: The network path was not found."
This usually reflects that you either need to specify credentials correctly (and type in the shared folder address manually) or there is a routing issue. To avoid last - try to disable all possible firewalls between your machine and NAS device.
I was wondering if there might be a way to use the command line from the recovery environment to enable SMB1 but I was not able to figure it out.
There is not way to enabled it in Recovery Media. You can include the support for SMB1/SMB2 only by recreating the Recovery Media on machine with this features enabled.
JohnnyMc
Novice

Post by JohnnyMc »

Okay, it's working!

I make a recovery media that was as stripped down as possible. I did not include any additional drivers or any network configurations. I disabled the option to include recovery drivers in the OS installation. The recovery media was made on a computer with SMB1 enabled.

One final quirk is that the recovery environment could not locate the shared location unless I used the IP address.

Thanks for your help!
edvdave
Novice
Full Name: edvdave

Re: Veeam Endpoint for Windows 2.1 cannot access Shared folders

Post by edvdave »

I got the same Issue. All my new Windows 10 1803 x64 Installs wont work with Veeam Agent 2.1 nor 2.2 .
When i try configuring a new Backup Scenario, my SMB Shares from QNAPS cant be found (SMB 2.2-SMB3.1). Same issue at my customers companies.

If you already had Veeam installed with a configured Job and upgrade to Agent 2.1 or 2.2 theres no issue.

Need fix urgently. This issue probably hits thousands of computers.

best regards

edvdave
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

edvdave, can you please clarify what steps have you already tried to resolve this? Does the file explorer work normally (you can access this QNAP share) from these computers?
edvdave
Novice

Post by edvdave »

Hi Vitaliy,

i checked the firewall (outgoing rules) , and checked accessing the share.
No changes have been done to the different affected networks and enviroments.
Explorer and "Network Tab" in Explorer working fine. Accesing and mapping shares trough windows explorer working flawlessly

So probably this issue is related to some MS Windows 10 Updates. (networking or net.framework)
Because this is what all companies have in common.

I have not tried on a fresh Win7 Installation yet. Just Win10 1803.

I tried with Veeam Agent 2.2 2.1 and 2.0.

I read abount MS quit using SMBV1 in Windows 10 due to security concerns.
Now SMBV1 is disabled by default. (can be installed and acticated).

What SMB generation does the veem agent use?

The server shares and qnap is not the problem.
Veeam agent is not able to list a single network device.
Wether in domain or just workgroup.

Screenshot:

best regards

edvdave
edvdave
Novice

Post by edvdave »

https://imgur.com/X5SgKJo

This error message is partly german.

Translated: Last error: The networkaddress ist not reachable.

Further pieces of information for network issues dolutions can be found in Windows Help.

best regards
edvdave
Novice

Post by edvdave »

i just recognized, Tehlak is german aswell. (screenshot)
Maybe this whole issue is related to some geo variables / local languages and translations?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

edvdave, I have reviewed this topic with a similar issue and one of the troubleshooting steps was to enable SMB v1. If you could try to do that and verify the connection again, that would be helpful. Once you do this, can contact our technical team and ask to review the log files to check why it doesn't work with SMB v1 disabled?
edvdave
Novice

Post by edvdave »

Hi Vitaliy,

i installed SMBv1 / Cifs Client and Server function. That doens't change anything sadly.

best regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, in this case let our support team to take a closer look at the issue.
vnavna
Influencer
Full Name: Steve Vujnovich

Post by vnavna »

Any updates on this issue? This seems to be a huge issue with users that are not able to update the NAS devices to support anything other that SMBv1.
This is so frustrating that you do not implement a Linux restore option as well to allow the access of network storage. The only way that I could think of resolving this issue would be to install a default Windows 10 1511 or 1607 virtual PC in virtualbox and then install the latest version of VEAM Endpoint then create the recovery media through the virtual PC to a connected USB drive.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Steve.

Was the Recovery Media in the question created on Windows 10 machine with latest update? If yes - please follow How to detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows and Windows Server KB article in order to get SMB1 feature enabled on the Windows machine. Once done, recreate Recovery Media and check the connection to SMB1 (should work without any issues). Cheers!
The80srocked
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Martin Musket

Post by The80srocked » 1 person likes this post

If anyone else is having this issue..i have noticed that i have two NIC cards on my backup machine. One was enabled and being actively used and the other was disabled. It seems that VEEAM endpoint decided to bind itself to the disabled adapter which was causing the error. I confirmed this by enabling the adapter and plugging it into the switch and it was able to discover the network. Hopefully this helps someone. The SMB1 is a rabbit hole, so dont bother going down that path...
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Martin,

Thank you for taking your time to share these observations, I've passed it to RnD team for further investigation. Cheers!
Pemil
Lurker
Full Name: Pemil Peduru

Post by Pemil »

Hi,

I had the same issue with the Agent for MS Windows 3.0.1.1039.
Client was Windows 10
Target was a CIFS share on NetApp.
I couldn't get the network devices or path listed by clicking brows.
So, I've just entered the full shared path as the User Guide describes, and then just clicked populate. Voilà ! Everything looks great. And that was it.

@ https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=30

Regarsd
Pemil
jdrch
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Post by jdrch »

edvdave wrote: Sep 30, 2018 12:27 pm Hi Vitaliy,

i installed SMBv1 / Cifs Client and Server function. That doens't change anything sadly.

best regards
Why would you use SMBv1 at all? It's got major security problems.
Stepinsky
Lurker

Post by Stepinsky »

Same issue here. I can't get any new installation to backup to a NAS share. On my test machine (coming from v2.x) backup to share is still fine.
The same issue is described here, some posts above this one.

What I tried so far:
  • Entering the full share path as described above: didn't improve.
  • Entering working share path and credentials from my test machine: didn't improve.
  • Checked firewall settings, added all Veeam exe and even disabled the firewall: didn't improve
  • Disabled F-Secure protection: didn't improve.
  • Checked Veeam service is running.
My machines are running Win 10 Pro 1809, German, latest Veeam Agent.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community forums Stepinsky,

Can you please clarify if you can access the mentioned file share from the same machine via regular file explorer? Thank you!
Stepinsky
Lurker

Post by Stepinsky »

Direct access via file explorer is working. As mentioned above: even working path and credentials of my test computer don't work on any of the new Veeam installations. See the same issue some posts above mine.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Is that a workgroup environment or domain environment? Can you try to enable anonymous access to the target folder on the file share and type in the UNC path to the shared folder manually with credentials checkbox unchecked? Thank you in advance.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew »

Any update on this?

I'm having the same issue trying to add a simple open/Anonymous CIFS/SMB share which is shared via a FreeNAS server. Veeam B&R CE 9.5 U4a installed on Server 2016 with all latest updates.

Like others, navigating to the share in question via Windows File Explorer works without a hitch. Then when attempting to add it as a Repo so I can save backups to it, the wizard states "Failed to get disk free space."

I already added the registry trick as mentioned here however the error remains...
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew »

I was testing around with creating another dataset and sharing it different ways, restarting the SMB service on FreeNAS and I eventually got it to work... I thought it was cause of how I created the user account, but after further validation it appears it was some setting on the datset for share on the hosting SMB server. I'd love to know exactly which change I made but I'm far to tired at this moment.. been fighting this for hours, just glad I got past that error!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I'm having the same issue trying to add a simple open/Anonymous CIFS/SMB share which is shared via a FreeNAS server. Veeam B&R CE 9.5 U4a installed on Server 2016 with all latest updates.
This thread is related to issues with Veeam Agent for Windows, however the issue you are referring to is related to network browse for the CIFS repository in Veeam B&R. I'd recommend to raise a support case related to Veeam B&R functionality to start the investigation, thank you!