Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jrbaumann
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jeff Baumann

Using agent to backup over wan, slow speeds + backup host, vm or both?

Post by jrbaumann »

Good morning!

This may have been asked before, so i apologize if it has been, i was unable to find anything........

I have a physical windows 2012 server running hyper-v with one vm on it. We are backing up using Veeam agent over a WAN connection to our data center (via VPN)

I've been attempting to backup only the vm, but the backups are taking a long time, only reading at 1MB, and i have not gotten them to finish after multiple tries.

Couple questions -

- Anything i should look at to figure out why this is this taking so long?

- Should i be backing up the host and the vm? What's the best practice here?

Currently we have no offsite backups for our remote sites, and most are setup as above, a physical windows 2012 server running hyper-v with one vm on it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Using agent to backup over wan, slow speeds + backup host, vm or both?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jeff,

Mind me asking why you are backing up entire Hyper-V host instead of single VM? What backup target are you using in the agent settings (Veeam B&R repository or any other backup target)? Thanks!
jrbaumann
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jeff Baumann

Post by jrbaumann »

Hi Dima,

That was one of my questions. I'm not sure why the host would need to be backed up, we do just backup the vms, but a question was brought from one of our other staff. I just wanted to know best practice.

The Windows agent is set to backup using Veeam B&R repository.

The backup restarted and has been running now for 117 hours (423GB completed - 65%)

Thanks

Jeff
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Jeff,

Single VM should have less data to backup over network, so it looks like a better approach. What's the average throughput between this site and your primary location? Thanks!