Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DCW
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Warner

Hardware required for Veeam 3par snapshot capabilities

Post by DCW »

Hi all,

Currently all my Veeam servers are virtual, I'm running backups and replication across 2 data centers, 1 dedicated proxy server in each dc and then another dedicated VM running the Veeam server in the primary DC.

I'm looking into upgrading my license to Enterprise Plus (from enterprise) to gain the backup from snapshot Veeam feature.

From a hardware point of view how am I going to have to modify my Infrastructure?
Would it just be a case of implementing 2x physical servers (one in each DC) with fiber access to my 3PAR SANs to replace my virtual proxies?

Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Hardware required for Veeam 3par snapshot capabilities

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Basically, yes that would be the best option to implement a physical server with a FC-HBA pair.

Depending on what job types you have, you should keep the virtual proxy servers for restore speed optimization (HotAdd) or VM replication target proxy processing (again Hotadd).
DCW
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Warner

Post by DCW »

Thanks for your response. Is it actually necessary to have anything physical to make use of the 3par snapshot functions? Ie can I keep my virtual proxies and virtual management server since everything already has fiber access to the SAN's via the hosts the vm's sit on?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

In theory you could potentially use some virutal FC cards within the VMs. We use it that way in the labs, but it is not officially supported and cumbersome from configuration and architecture perspective.

For iSCSI this works. Potentially you could expose the same volumes to iSCSI and use the virtual proxy with it.