Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rgmueller
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

moving backup copy data to new SOBR

Post by rgmueller »

I have existing backup copy jobs that place data on a simple repository only used for BC jobs. I wish to create a SOBR to be used just for BC jobs. What is the best way to accomplish this?
rgmueller
Enthusiast

Re: moving backup copy data to new SOBR

Post by rgmueller »

I forgot to add the new SOBR will be created from 2 all new simple repositories. I tried to add the existing BC repository but it tells me it cannot be added due to active backup or restore sessions. Do i have to wait until those sessions can be disabled or is there another way to just use the 2 new repositories and exclude the existing one from the SOBR?
rgmueller
Enthusiast

Post by rgmueller »

Also, do I have to move everything all at once? I would prefer to move one job at a time.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can simply disable currently running backup copy jobs and then add this repository to SOBR; should be the easier than moving data to new repository. Thanks!
rgmueller
Enthusiast

Post by rgmueller »

I had tape copy jobs still running, so when I tried to add the old repository to the new SOBR it gave me an error about not able to do add while active sessions. Some of the tape jobs run for 5 jobs but I will try again after they finish. I also tried to copy/move individual BC jobs but some are 10TB+ in size so hard to finish in a timely fashion. Thanks.
rgmueller
Enthusiast

Post by rgmueller »

So, after moving it into the new SOBR, the next step would be to put it into maintenance mode? Will there be any impact to the existing backup copy jobs whose data is on there? And will the VBR move data off of there, or at least not write to it? I can wait for the data to age out since we keep only 7 days worth of restore points.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you want to migrate data from this extent, yes, you will need to put it into maintenance mode first and then evacuate backups from it.

Maintenance mode will prevent VB&R from writing data to the said extent, backup evacuation will help you to transfer backups from one extent to the other.

Thanks!