Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Job not stopping within scheduled window due to indexing processing being stuck

Post by ChrisGundry »

We have a file server with a LOT of files on it. We have an intermittent issue which I have raised with support #03471307.

The issue is that the indexing process seems to get 'stuck' for no reason. The day before it gets stuck it will work fine and usually the day after it will work fine as well. This is a job that has been running for several years with no changes and we never used to have this issue but recently we have had it several times over a 2 month period. No windows updates have been applied, no changes have been made to the server, no large numbers of files have been added, no extra file depth has been added etc. So we are unsure why we have started getting the issue regularly or why it is happening at all.

Whilst we work on the issue I thought I would apply a scheduled window to the job to stop it before the start of the working day, if it had gotten 'stuck'. But there are 2 issues:
1. I find that apparently indexing is not a part of the job that will be stopped by the scheduled window, or so I am told by support. This seems like an oversight to me, why is the job not stopped when the job is still running but only the indexing is taking place?

2. If the job is running clicking stop and choosing forceful or graceful doesn't stop the job. The only way to stop the job is to stop the Veeam guest indexer process in the guest itself. I have also tried using a PowerShell script at business start time to stop the job if it was found to be running, but as I assume it triggers the same command to Veeam it doesn't work.

My next step is going to be to trigger a command to kill the process within the guest if it is found to be running at x time, but we should not need to resort to this to have the job stop when we want it to...

So my questions are:
1. Has anyone else had this issue and can shed any light or share any suggestions?
2. Can someone explain why the job doesn't stop when told to manually?
3. Can someone explain why the indexing process is not considered in relation to the job window setting?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Job not stopping within scheduled window due to indexing processing being stuck

Post by veremin »

We're investigating this internally. I will let you know, once more information is available. Thanks!
ChrisGundry
Veteran

Re: Job not stopping within scheduled window due to indexing processing being stuck

Post by ChrisGundry »

thank you
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The issue should be fixed in one of the next product releases.

However, I'd suggest to keep working with our support team on finding the root cause of indexing slowness.

Thanks!
ChrisGundry
Veteran

Post by ChrisGundry »

Thanks for the reply. Can you clarify exactly what will be fixed in the next release?
The fact it doesn't stop when told to due to indexing or the fact it doesn't stop when the window expires and indexing is taking place?
Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

These issues will be addressed:

- Backup job not being stopped by backup window while running indexing
- Backup job not being stopped by manual stop operation while running indexing

Thanks!