Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
controlfreak
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Control

Veeam Agent Backups fails during non-configured attempted access to sql

Post by controlfreak »

We have SQL Server 2017 running on 2016 Server, being backup up by a veeam managed agent 3.0. The backup job is configured for: File level - Operating system, C:\, exclude *.mdf and *.ldf. Enable application aware backup is unchecked.

Even with the settings above, I see the agent attempt to login to SQL and backup the databases. We use SQL backup jobs, so we don't want the agent accessing the databases at all.

Things that did not work include:
- Enable application aware backup in copy-only mode. Veeam/VSS still initiate a backup that fails.
- Grant veeam access to SQL server as sysadmin role. Login success but backups still fail.
- restart SQL VSS writer. Clears the error state of the writer until the backup runs again.

A solution I found was to disable the SQL server vss writer service.

It would be great if we could configure the agent to truly ignore SQL without having to disable this service. This is a pretty vanilla SQL server config containing a mix of custom and application databases. We are using basic availability groups also.

Open case # 03470933

-Control
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Veeam Agent Backups fails during non-configured attempted access to sql

Post by wishr »

Hi Control,

Unfortunately, disabling VSS is not a solution in this case. In this case, VSS is required to just prepare the Database for the backup when AAIP option is disabled to ensure the backup is crash-consistent and the database will operate properly once restored (logs are not touched in this particular scenario with AAIP option disabled).

Just in general, currently, Agent (ex-endpoint) backups always utilize VSS in comparison with VM backups where this can be controlled by a user using job UI settings.

I suppose there is some issue with the VSS writer itself that should be investigated - please keep working with the support team to get a proper solution. As far as I see there is an ongoing conversation.

Thanks,
Fedor
controlfreak
Enthusiast

Post by controlfreak »

Hi Fedor,

The support case landed on using pre/post script to stop and start the SQL VSS Writer Service.

Do you have any recommended troubleshooting steps regarding the SQL VSS Writer Service?

Our SQL admin would prefer that the agent not attempt to login/backup SQL Databases at all during the backup since we have SQL maintenance plans taking backups far more frequently than veeam scheduled backups. That's just a wish list item for a future agent release.

Thanks!

Control
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Dan,

Have you tried to reboot the SQL server? Actually, it's hard to recommend something without looking at the details, so for troubleshooting, I would advise you to continue the conversation with the support team or even escalate the case if necessary.

SQL VSS writer is triggered by VSS itself, while VSS Snapshots are used for Agent backups. I'm not sure if we have control over this behavior. The copy only mode has been designed for situations when you utilize non-veeam tools for SQL backups.

Regards,
Fedor
controlfreak
Enthusiast

Post by controlfreak »

Sounds good, thank you Fedor.