Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
BruceA
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Bruce Arnott

Restore from Backup Copied to B&R

Post by BruceA »

I've been given the task of testing the DR strategy for one of our sites.

The site has a Hyper-V server with 2 VMs which are backed up using B&R to an internal drive and offsite to a private Cloud, the host also has some programs installed on it (I know but I don't get to fix that just save the day) so I've installed the Windows Agent on the host and backed up to the B&R repository. I've then used B&R to run a copy job to the cloud offiste.

The problem comes when I try to restore the Host using the Agent recovery ISO, it won't read the backup file from the cloud repository (I've copied it locally to the test server) as it says the Agent can't read B&R files.

Is there a way to do a baremetal recovery with this file now using B&R or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
pouya
Novice
Full Name: Phillip Ou Yang

Re: Restore from Backup Copied to B&R

Post by pouya »

When you restore from a backup copy it has to be inside a VBR repository, so if you are copying stuff over from the Cloud side you will need to have an on prem backup server to import the files to.
BruceA
Service Provider

Post by BruceA »

So I can't use the copied file to do a bare metal recovery?

To clarify, we have spare hardware at our central site. What I'd like to be able to do is restore the Agent backup to a new server, deploy the backed up VM to that server and ship the whole thing to where ever the remote site setup after a disaster. Is that possible with what I'm doing?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Bruce,

You can perform Bare Metal Recovery for backup file made by backup copy job, but these backup must be placed in Veeam B&R repository. Backup copy can contain backup files for multiple machines, so user must be authenticated as Veeam B&R admin to perfrom restore (i.e. when you type in Veeam B&R server as a repository you must use admin account to access the backup file).
BruceA
Service Provider

Post by BruceA »

Thank you, I missed that option in the restore to recover from network (which can be cloud or local B&R). Worked beautifully after that.