Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
j.dop
Novice
Liked: never

Internship question

Post by j.dop »

Hey,

I'm working on a internship project to shorten the restore time of our servers.

We now use a Dell EMC with 2 storage processes with a deduplication unit. We make incremental backups every day and a synthetic full backup on Sundays.

This week I tested how long the restore time is. If I am using the incremental backup from our most important database server it took about 7 hours to restore. If I use the synthetic backup restore it takes 5 hours. If I make an active full backup and restore it, it is 4 hours.

Now we want to install an extra unit with disks where we want to write an active full back-up on a regular basis so that in case of an emergency we can quickly return to that active full. We also want to keep a part free for Instant VM recovery.

Now my question is you have suggestions for storage that I can look at that can quickly recover but also have enough room for instant recovery.

Now I can of course watch SSD disks, but they are less than HDD in terms of storage and often much more expensive.

Are there people with the same attitude and have tips that I should pay attention to?
DavoudTeimouri
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Davoud Teimouri

Re: Internship question

Post by DavoudTeimouri »

Restoring backup has different scenarios. Sometimes you need to take backup quickly, so incremental is very well for you. Sometimes you need to restore whole virtual machine and active full backup is good because there is no need to other operation to consolidate backup files in backup server before restoration.
But you can also restore file level that it will be more faster than others. Create backup is depends to target speed actually, so if backup disk is so much slower than main disk then backup creation will takes more time. Restoring backup is depends to target as well and the target is main disk on virtual environment so if you have used SSD for backup, it faster than backup disks but restoration speed will be equal to backup disk speed.
Actually, backup and restoration performance is depends to many metrics and not only disk speed.
I recommend you that read "Veeam Backup & Replication Best Practices" in the below link:
https://bp.veeam.expert/
Best Regards
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

backup restores are going to bottleneck on your dedup appliance (which i think youre seeing here) since disk space is relatively cheap nowadays. you can add some recent backups on raw disk space (best for instant recovery as well) so you get the best performance while still having everything on dedup. if restore times are still unacceptable, look into replicas.
j.dop
Novice
Liked: never

Post by j.dop »

We also do a full backup on usb drives but only on saturday, just in case of emergency but when the cryptolocker hits on friday i lost about a week of data, so it's not an idea to use that.

I'm not sure if i understand what you mean with raw disk space.
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Post by lando_uk »

He means dont use the dedupe device. Have your primary backups on standard local disks, preferably RAID10 if you want quicker restores.

Lots of info missing here. How big is your restore that's taking 7 hours?

With DB servers, you really need to think about taking local BAKs that you can restore without Veeam, or use mirroring etc.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I suggest you to review Veeam B&R reference architecture and this post for some hints.