Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rfink13
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Fink

Clone to disk?

Post by rfink13 »

I am not a fan of the "copy jobs". I run a simple two tier GFS backup scheme: 1) Keep daily backups and syn. fulls for 25 restore points. 2) Keep "monthly full" backups for 12 restore points.

I'm pulling out what little hair I have left trying to get this to work. I'm having issues trying to get the copy jobs to copy the correct full, not the day before or after the one that I want, plus a large number of copies come back as "incomplete".

I would love it if I could just pick a restore point and clone it to a different data repository with the monthly retention. Is there a way to do that?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Clone to disk?

Post by veremin »

Backup copy job does not copy backup chain as a whole, instead it synthetically creates required restore points in "target" location from VM data in source backup repositories. Which means you cannot instruct it to copy the selected full backup blindly, but you can specify a day when a weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly full should be produced by it - GFS retention policy.

So, can you tell us when you want to have that point created? Maybe we can suggest how GFS schedule can be tweaked.

As to incomplete state, it means that backup copy job has not been able to create a restore point within the allocated time interval.

Thanks!
rfink13
Influencer

Post by rfink13 »

What I'm trying to do is. I want to make the last Wed.'s syn. full a "monthly" backup to be saved for a year (12 restore points). I have a copy job set up to use the last Weds. as the monthly and it's set to copy every day but it doesn't seem to week. A lot of the copies come back as "incomplete". If I increase the copy to 2 days, what happens if my chosen day falls on its off day?

Thanks
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas »

Hey Richard,

The interval is 2 thing: how long the Copy Job will span for looking, and the total time that the job has for copying (more or less). Copy jobs always run, so you don't have to worry; when a GFS point is made, we will copy over the incremental point. When that increment gets merged out, then a full archive is made.

U4 also has an Export Backup function I noticed -- you can schedule it (powershell only) which would give you the on-demand archival points you want.
rfink13
Influencer

Post by rfink13 »

Thanks, I found the "export back wizard". I noticed it picks the most recent restore point by default. Is there a way to pick a previous restore point?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are you talking about this functionality? If so, you need to click "Point" button to select restore points created on different days.

Getting to backup copy job, to achieve your goal you need to enable GFS retention, select 12 as number of monthly point and set last Wednesday of the month as a source for it.

As to incomplete state, it means that backup copy job has not been able to create a restore point within the allocated time interval, so, check your connection to target site, whether it's good enough to deal with the size of restore point sent through it.

Thanks!
rfink13
Influencer

Post by rfink13 »

The export wizard works great. I was able to successfully export a file. The next question is. how do I restore from an exported restore point? I tried playing with the import file wizard and it wants the actual file name. Am I missing something?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You do not need to import it, it should already be displayed under Disk (Imported) node (if we're talking about the same Veeam B&R instance). Just expand the required backup, right-click the VM and select the corresponding restore option.