Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ASG
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Agent Free Edition - ReFS Fastclone? / Shedule when attached

Post by ASG »

Hi,

I'm setting up an Free Edition Agent (Windows 10 Pro) at home for my Lab (since I'm using B&R Enterprise Plus and Agents Linux/Windows at work I'm giving this a Testrun at home). I've noticed/asked myself 2 things:

- It seems that "when Target connected" only works with USB devices. Since I'm using SATA for the storage (the case has a SATA Hot-Swap Bay my Backup HDD goes in - it's then recognized as a removable Device and would even be able to be disconnected just like any USB HDD) I can't use it to run the Backup when the Disk is plugged in automaticly. Maybe there is a registry Key for Veeam to use not only USB removable devices?

- Will the free Agent benefit from ReFS as (local) Target and use Synthetic full with Fastclone? Since this is no Repository (or let's say - as far as I understood it the Repo that's talked about is a B&R Repo) I'm unsure. I know I can't format ReFS in 10 Pro anymore - but right beside the 10 Pro Box there is a Box with Server 2019 and USB3.0 that would be able to... ;-)

Thanks!
ASG
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Agent Free Edition - ReFS Fastclone? / Shedule when attached

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
for the first question I can only refer to the official UI message.

second question: "yes" (because I use it :-)) for directly connected disks. I formatted my disk with ReFS with Server 2016. Works fine since more than a year.

Best regards,
Hannes
ASG
Enthusiast

Post by ASG »

Hello Hannes,

Thanks for your reply. I've seen the UI Message - but as it seems there is a RegKey for nearly everything ;-) I thought there might be a little Key that triggers the Agent to list every removable device wether it's connected via USB or not :-)

The ReFS part is great - I'll connect the Disk to the Server to Format it and then use it as the target for the Agent.

Thanks!
ASG
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

ASG,

Unfortunately there is no regkey for that. Once the drive is connected please check if the device is visible in Veeam Agent for Windows > Settings > Known Removable media? Thank you!
ASG
Enthusiast

Post by ASG »

Hi Dima,

No, the device is not listed at the known removable medias. Maybe adding/recognizing more Hotswap able devices (like SATA Hotswap or ESATA devices - maybe via regkey so it doesn't affect all installed agents) can be added to the wishlist of features for new agent versions? ;-)

Thanks!
ASG
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

ASG,

Consider it's done. Cheers!